Arthur J. Myers, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director of Air Force Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. His organization's mission is to increase combat capability and improve productivity through programs promoting readiness, esprit de corps and quality of life for Air Force people. Mr. Myers provides policy, technical direction and oversight for the worldwide services program which includes physical fitness, peacetime and wartime troop feeding, Air Force protocol, lodging, libraries, child development centers, youth centers, mortuary affairs and a wide spectrum of recreation activities. He also provides executive-level management and control for worldwide business operations, such as officer and enlisted clubs, golf courses and bowling centers. In addition, Mr. Myers serves as the single focal point for the Survivor Assistance Program under the Air Force Chief of Staff. In this capacity, he brings together key staff agencies and field activities to provide immediate information and assistance to wounded Air Force members, the families of deceased personnel, field commanders, investigating boards and Air Force senior leadership. He also serves as executive agent for the Department of Defense in managing the Armed Forces Entertainment Office and department-wide initiatives in support of military funeral honors programs.
Mr. Myers graduated from Arts High School in Newark, N.J. Shortly thereafter he enlisted in the Air Force, where he served 20 years on active duty. During his military career, Mr. Myers held several different positions in the morale, welfare and recreation, and comptroller fields. His assignments included Wheelus Air Base, Libya; five tours in Southeast Asia; Bitburg Air Base, West Germany; and several assignments in the United States. In 1982, Mr. Myers started his civilian career with the Air Force. Since that time he has held several positions at base and major command levels. He moved to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in February 1991 as the first deputy director of the organization, then known as Air Force Morale, Welfare and Recreation. Mr. Myers remained there through several reorganizations and assumed his position as Director in January 1998.
1978 Bachelor of Science degree in business management, summa cum laude, Golden Gate University, San Francisco
1980 Master of Science degree in business management, Troy State University
1. February 1982 - August 1982, club manager, 483rd Combat Support Group, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
2. August 1982 - December 1984, club manager, 317th Combat Support Group, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. December 1984 - September 1987, Deputy Chief of Morale, Welfare and Recreation, and Installation Club Manager, 18th Combat Support Wing, Kadena AB, Japan
4. September 1987 - March 1989, Director of Morale, Welfare and Recreation, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. March 1989 - February 1991, Director of Morale, Welfare and Recreation, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
6. February 1991 - February 1993, Deputy Director, Air Force Morale, Welfare, Recreation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. February 1993 - December 1997, Director of Resource Management and Deputy Director of Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. January 1998 - present, Director of Air Force Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
1980 U.S. Air Force Club Manager of the Year
1984 and 1987 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
1989, 1991, 1998 and 2002 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
1998 Morale, Welfare and Recreation Leadership Award, International Military Community Executives Association
1999 and 2004 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2003 Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award
2004 Lifetime Achievement Award, American Logistics Association