Brig. Gen. Alfred K. Flowers is Director, Center for Force Structure, Requirements, Resources and Strategic Assessments, Headquarters U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla. He is responsible for USSOCOM?s program analysis, evaluation, strategic planning, acquisition resource oversight and cost analysis. General Flowers is also responsible for providing the financial resources and services required for the organization, equipment and training of special operations forces.
General Flowers was commissioned following graduation from Officer Training School as a distinguished graduate of the December 1978 class. He first served as a budget officer at the squadron, major command and Air Staff levels. In 1990, he was assigned as Chief of the Budget Operations Division for the Air Combat Command at Langley AFB, Va., where he would later serve as the Chief of Budget. The general has served on the Joint Staff as Defense Resource Manager, and in 1999 he was the Director of Budget Programs for the Department of the Air Force. Prior to his current position, he was assigned as Comptroller, Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas.
1975 Bachelor of Science degree, Southern Illinois University
1976 Master of Arts degree, Ball State University
1980 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1985 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1988 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1990 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1993 Air War College, by seminar
1994 Master of Science degree, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2002 Advanced Management Program, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2003 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Washington, D.C.
2005 Executive Business Course, Monterey, Calif.
1. January 1979 ? May 1982, deputy accounting and finance officer, later, accounting and finance officer, budget officer, 347th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
2. June 1982 ? June 1985, budget staff officer, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley AFB, Va.
3. July 1985 ? September 1987, budget staff officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. October 1987 ? June 1989, executive officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1989 ? January 1990, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
6. February 1990 ? June 1993, Chief, Budget Operations Division, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
7. August 1993 ? June 1994, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1994 ? December 1996, Defense Resource Manager, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
9. December 1996 ? June 1999, Chief of Budget, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
10. June 1999 ? July 2001, Director of Budget Programs, Department of the Air Force, Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. September 2001 ? August 2003, Comptroller, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. September 2003 ? February 2004, Chief Financial Executive, Center for Force Structure, Resources and Strategic Assessments, Headquarters U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
13. March 2004 ? present, Director, Center for Force Structure, Requirements, Resources and Strategic Assessments, J8, Headquarters USSOCOM, MacDill AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Vietnam Service Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Professional Development in Financial Management, Level III
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 11, 1978
First Lieutenant Dec. 11, 1980
Captain Dec. 1, 1982
Major Dec. 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 1992
Colonel Aug. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Sept. 1, 2004