Died Dec. 23, 1975.
Brigadier General Alfred Verhulst is vice commander, Air Force Reserve with headquarters at Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He was recalled to active duty in October 1969 to serve in this capacity.
General Verhulst was born in Sheboygan Falls, Wis., in 1921. He graduated from Sheboygan Falls High School, worked with his father on a dairy farm, and attended Sheboygan Business College. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps aviation cadet program in July 1942 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in November 1943, at Aloe Field, Victoria, Texas.
His first assignment was as an instructor pilot with the 821st Flying Training Squadron, Coffeyville, Kan. He was assigned as a pilot in May 1944 to the 39th Troop Carrier Squadron, 317th Troop Carrier Group, and joined the group at Finch Haven, New Guinea. He flew airborne support missions for the 1lth Army Airborne and the 501st Airborne Regiment in five major campaigns including the invasion of the Philippines and Okinawa. He was awarded the Air Medal with oak leaf cluster.
General Verhulst was relieved from active duty in January 1946 and was a member of the inactive Reserve. He returned to his hometown, Sheboygan Falls, Wis., where he was employed as manager of the Winstop Dairy Farm, a leader in the development of registered Holstein Fresian herds. In January 1949 he joined the 437th Troop Carrier Group, of the Air Force Reserve, at O'Hare Field, Ill. From October 1949 to February 1952, he was a member of the 2662d Volunteer Air Reserve Squadron at Sheboygan, Wis.
He returned to flying duty with the 924th Air Reserve Training Wing, at Milwaukee, Wis., flying B-52 aircraft. In June 1952 the wing was redesignated the 438th Fighter-Bomber Wing and General Verhulst became commander of the 88th Fighter Bomber Squadron and was one of the first pilots to become combat ready in the squadron's F-51 and F-80 aircraft. In October 1956 he became commander, 438th Fighter Bomber Group. Assigned a new mission, the 438th Wing was redesignated the 440th Troop Carrier Wing, and he was named director of operations in November 1957. A year later, he was accepted in the Air Force Reserve Technician Program and served full-time as wing director of operations.
In July 1967 General Verhulst became commander of the 434th Tactical Airlift Wing at Bakalar Air Force Base, Ind. He held that position until recalled to active duty in 1969, promoted to the grade of brigadier general, and appointed vice commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
In 1961 he served as 440th Troop Carrier Wing Swift Strike mission commander, and the 1206th Troop Carrier Wing (Provisional) commander for the 1963 Swift Strike exercise. In 1961, as aircraft commander, his aircrew won two of the three events in the Continental Air Command National Troop Carrier Competition. This was the only time in the history of the competition that one aircrew won both events: the day low-level with personnel drop, and night navigation mission with equipment drop.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Air Medal with oak leaf cluster, Presidential Unit Citation Emblem, Armed Forces Reserve Medal (Air Force) with hour glass device and Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon. He is a command pilot.
His civic affiliations include the Rotary Club of Warner Robins, Ga.; American Farm Bureau; Milwaukee Hangar, Quiet Birdmen; Past Secretary-Treasurer, Sheboygan County Agricultural Association; Past Commander of Sheboygan Post American Legion; Reserve Officers Association, Past Department President for State of Wisconsin; and Air Force Association.
He was promoted to the permanent grade of brigadier general effective Sept. 26, 1969, with date of rank Sept. 26, 1969.