Retired Aug. 1, 1995.
Brigadier General Anthony J. Tolin is deputy director for strategy and policy, Joint Staff, (J-5), Washington, D.C.
The general was born in London. He was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Louisiana Tech University. He has flown combat in the Vietnam conflict and Operation Desert Storm. He has commanded two wings, the 37th Tactical Fighter Wing (F-117A's) and the 57th Wing. He is a command pilot with more than 5,000 hours, principally in fighter aircraft.
1967 Bachelor of science degree in mathematics, Louisiana Tech University
1972 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1974 USAF Fighter Weapons School, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
1980 Master of arts degree in management, LaVerne University, Calif.
1986 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1967 - June 1968, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laredo Air Force Base, Texas
2. June 1968 - March 1972, T-38 instructor pilot, Laredo Air Force Base, Texas
3. March 1972 - November 1972, student, F-4 Replacement Training Unit, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
4. December 1972 - January 1974, F-4C/D/E fighter pilot, 421st Tactical Fighter Squadron, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. January 1974 - September 1978, F-4 instructor pilot and flight commander, 58th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
6. September 1978 - September 1981, chief, weapons and tactics, 21st Tactical Fighter Wing and Headquarters Alaskan Air Command, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
7. September 1981 - June 1985, action officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations; and member, Air Force Chief of Staff's Staff Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1985 - June 1986, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
9. July 1986 - June 1987, deputy commander for operations, 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
10. July 1987 - August 1990, vice commander and commander, 4450th Tactical Group, 37th Tactical Fighter Wing, Tonopah Test Range, Nev.
11. August 1990 - November 1991, assistant deputy chief of staff, Plans, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va., (December 1990 - March 1991, Operation Desert Storm, chief, campaign plans, USCENTAF, Saudi Arabia)
12. November 1991 - August 1993, commander, 57th Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
13. August 1993 - present, deputy director for strategy and policy), Joint Staff, J-5, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft flown: T-38, F-4, F-15, F-16, A-7, F-117A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Vietnam Service Medal with service star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with two service stars
Kuwait Liberation Medal
1968 Distinguished graduate, Undergraduate Pilot Training
1972 Outstanding graduate and Top Gun, F-4 Replacement Training Unit
1973 Order of the Able Aeronaut, Pacific Air Forces
1974 Outstanding graduate, F-4 CIS
1975 Outstanding graduate, USAF Fighter Weapons School
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1967
First Lieutenant Dec 19, 1968
Captain Jun 19, 1970
Major Apr 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Nov 1, 1981
Colonel Dec 1, 1985
Brigadier General May 1, 1992