Retired Nov. 1, 1994.
Brigadier General Billy J. Bingham is assistant deputy director for operations and deputy chief, Central Security Service, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md. His responsibilities include overseeing the production and reporting of the U.S. Signals Intelligence System in support of national policy-makers, the Joint Chiefs, and the services. As principal military adviser to the deputy director for operations, he ensures NSA strategic plans and programs fulfills commanders' needs.
The general entered the Air Force in 1962 as a distinguished graduate of the Reserve Offcer Training Corps program. He has served as chief of staff of a major command, and has commanded the Air Force Tactical Applications Center and Air Force Intelligence Agency. He has also served as director for intelligence, U.S. Pacific Command.
1962 Bachelors degree in business administration and management, Memphis State University
1962 Intelligence Officer School, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
1971 Squadron Offcer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1974 Masters degree in business administration and management, Pepperdine University, Los Angeles
1975 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1982 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1985 U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1988 John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Mass.
1. December 1962 - February 1966, operations flight officer, 6950th Security Wing, Royal Air Force Station Chicksands, England
2. February 1966 - May 1967, staff member, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
3. June 1967 - July 1969, member, Air National Guard
4. August 1969 - May 1970, deputy director of special activities, Air Force Special Communications Center, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
5. May 1970 - May 1971, director of operations, 6903rd Security Squadron, Osan Air Base, South Korea
6. May 1971 - April 1972, chief, exploitation evaluation branch, Headquarters Pacific Security Region, Wheeler Air Force Base, Hawaii
7. April 1972 - December 1974, chief, intelligence requirements branch, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Intelligence, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
8. January 1975 - July 1975, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. July 1975 - August 1978, chief, requirements and policy, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff, Intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1978 - July 1984, staff member, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
11. July 1984 - June 1985, student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
12. June 1985 - April 1986, deputy chief of staff for operations, Headquarters Electronic Security Command, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
13. April 1986 - September 1986, chief of staff, Headquarters Electronic Security Command, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas
14. September 1986 - February 1988, commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
15. February 1888 - July 1991, deputy assistant chief of staff, intelligence, and commander, Air Force Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
16. July 1991 - August 1993, director for intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
17. August 1993 - present, assistant deputy director for operations, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Basic Non-Rated Aircrew Badge
Master Space Badge
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 26, 1962
First Lieutenant Jan 2, 1964
Captain Jan 1, 1967
Major May 1, 1973vLieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1978
Colonel Mar 1, 1983
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1989