Retired Aug. 1, 1966. Died April 20, 2000.
Charles Barnard Stewart was born in Springfield, Mass., in 1914. He graduated from the Punahou Academy in Honolulu in 1930 and entered the University of Hawaii. In 1932 he received an appointment from the District of Columbia Commissioners to the U.S. Military Academy. He graduated in 1936, 15th in a class of 276.
Second Lieutenant Stewart's first assignment was in the Coast Artillery Corps at Fort Totten, Long Island in October 1936. He was transferred to the flying school at Randolph Field, Texas, in October 1936 and received his pilot's wings at Kelly Field in October of 1937. He is rated a command pilot.
Lieutenant Stewart's first assignment after Kelly Field was with the 22nd Observation Squadron at Brooks Field, Texas. In 1940 he was ordered to Wheeler Field, Hawaii and transferred in 1941 to Bellows Field, Hawaii, where he was stationed at the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He served in the Central Pacific with the 7th Air Force for the next two years, commanding the 318th Fighter Group and serving as the director of operations of the 7th Fighter Command. In 1944 he became the vice commander of the Marianas Air Defense Command for which service he was awarded the Legion of Merit in 1945.
Returning to the zone of the interior, Colonel Stewart became commander of Napier Field, Dothan, Ala., and in 1946 was transferred to the staff of the Air Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, serving as director of logistics plans.
He attended the Air Force Institute of Technology and in 1949 he did graduate work at the Ohio State University, receiving his doctorate in nuclear physics in 1952. From 1952 to 1954 he was stationed at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, Los Alamos, N.M., where he performed critical assembly and fast reactor research with the W-2 Division at Pajarito Canyon.
In 1954 he became vice commander of the Air Force Special Weapons Center at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. In 1956 he attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort Leslie J. McNair at Washington, D.C.
Colonel Stewart served as deputy director of the Division of Military Application, Atomic Energy Commission, from 1957 to 1959. In 1959 he became the director of the newly formed Air Force Directorate of Nuclear Safety, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
Brigadier General Stewart was assigned as the director of aerospace safety, deputy, the Inspector General, Norton Air Force Base, Calif., in August 1965. This directorate is responsible for developing and monitoring the U.S. Air Force flight, ground and missile safety programs. It also publishes U.S. Air Force safety magazines, produces safety motion pictures, and supervises the U.S. Air Force Safety Officer University training courses.