Retired April 30, 1957. Died March 1, 1982.
Charles Pratt Brown was born in Birmingham, Ala., in 1910, and graduated from high school there in 1927. He attended Washington and Lee University for a year and received a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering from Georgia School of Technology in 1932.
From 1934 to 1939, General Brown was a retail store manager in Memphis, Tenn., for the Firestone Tire and Rubber Corporation, and the following year was sales manager, Meridian Motors, Inc., in Meridian, Miss.
Commissioned a second lieutenant of Air Corps in the National Guard on Jan. 4, 1940, General Brown was promoted to first lieutenant on Oct. 15, 1940 and called to extended active duty with the 153rd Observation Squadron at Key Field, Miss. He had a civilian pilot's license prior to being commissioned and on Nov. 9, 1940 was rated a pilot in the Air Corps.
In October 1941 General Brown was appointed engineering officer for the Craig Sub-Depot at Selma, Ala., and in August 1942 assumed command of the 13th Sub-Depot at Boca Raton Field, Fla. He was transferred to the Warner Robins Air Service Command at Robins Field, Ga., in June 1943 to become sub-depot coordinator. He became control officer there in January 1944; chief of the Personnel and Training Division in July 1944; assistant chief of the Personnel and Training Division in September 1944; chief of the Maintenance Division in January 1945, and deputy commander of the Warner Robins Air Service Command in March 1945.
Transferred to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in August 1945 as chief of Supply and Maintenance Unit of the Army Section of the Joint Brazil-United States Military Commission, in May 1947 General Brown was appointed assistant chief of staff for training.
Entering the Air Command and Staff School at Maxwell Air Force Base in May 1948, General Brown graduated in December 1948 and then became deputy chief of the Materiel Programs Branch in the Office of the Comptroller at Air Force headquarters, Washington, D.C., becoming chief in May 1949. The following November he was appointed chief of the Aircraft Programming Division in the Office of the Assistant for Programming at Air Force headquarters.
Transferring to the Air Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio in August 1951, the general was named deputy assistant for plans, programs and requirements. The next March he assumed command of the base, and in October 1953 was designated special assistant to the commander, AMC. On April 12, 1954 General Brown became assistant for programming, Air Materiel Command, also at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Reassigned to Air Force headquarters on July 31, 1954, General Brown was named deputy assistant chief of staff for installations, which position he held until he retired from active duty.
He is rated a command pilot and aircraft observer.