Retired March 1, 1966.
Carl W. Andrews was born in Onalaska, Texas, in 1913. He graduated from Oakhurst High School in 1932.
On Feb. 1, 1933 he enlisted in the Texas National Guard. He received his second lieutenant's commission Feb. 21, 1936 and served on extended active duty from May 1, 1936 to Oct. 27, 1937. He graduated from the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Ga. in 1939 and March 14, 1939, was promoted to first lieutenant. He was ordered to extended active duty with the Air Force Aug. 22, 1941 with station at Luke Field, Phoenix, Ariz.
From Aug. 22, 1941 to Dec. 21, 1947, Andrews' principal duties consisted of base adjutant; base executive officer; and executive to the assistant chief of staff (A-3) and later chief, plans and statistics (A-5), Headquarters Twentieth Air Force. During this period he attended the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
As a lieutenant colonel, Andrews attended the Joint Operations Course, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va. in December 1947. After completing this course, he was assigned as chief, resources planning section, Industrial Planning Division, Headquarters Air Materiel Command. He was promoted to colonel June 22, 1950. On Dec. 5, 1951 he was assigned as assistant chief, Industrial Resources Division at Headquarters Air Materiel Command.
Colonel Andrews entered the Industrial College of the Armed Forces on Aug. 24, 1953. The following August he was assigned as chief, The Hague Procurement Field Office, Netherlands. He served in this capacity until July 1, 1956, when he was assigned as chief, London Procurement Field Office. He served in this capacity until the summer of 1957.
On Aug. 10, 1957, Colonel Andrews became deputy director of materiel programs, deputy chief of staff, materiel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. In December of the following year he was selected as the director of materiel programs, being promoted to brigadier general in May 1960. In August 1961 he became the assistant for materiel programming, Deputy Chief of Staff, Systems and Logistics.
On July 17, 1962, General Andrews was named deputy commander, San Antonio Air Materiel Area, Kelly Air Force Base, Texas. He served in this capacity until July 1964, when he was assigned to Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii as assistant chief of staff, materiel, on July 10, 1964. He became director of materiel, Pacific Air Forces, Nov. 1, 1964.