Retired July 31, 1962.
Charles A. Heim was born in New York City in 1908. He attended Trinity High School, New York City graduating in 1923. In 1926 he enlisted in the Air Service element of the U.S. Army.
From 1926 until 1942 he served as an enlisted man in various squadrons of the Air Force. Highest rank attained was master sergeant.
In April 1942 he was commissioned as a first lieutenant at Orlando Air Force Base, Fla. Two months later, in June 1942, he was promoted to the rank of captain and assumed the duties of engineering officer of the Orlando Sub-Depot.
In April 1943, he was promoted to the rank of major and was assigned to the 12th Air Force Service Command in Algiers. Later that year he was assigned to the newly created 15th Air Force and assumed the duties of chief of the Maintenance Division of the 15th Air Force Service Command at El Alalouin in Tunisia.
He was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel in 1944. He received the Legion of Merit in 1944 while serving as A-4 of the 15th Air Force for outstanding achievement in effecting the major modification at Bizerte of all B-25 aircraft that were in use in the Mediterranean Theatre.
In February 1945 he was promoted to the rank of colonel and in May 1945 received the Bronze Star Medal for his accomplishments as A-4 of the 15th Air Force and commander of the 15th Air Force Service Command.
He returned from overseas in August 1945 to the position of deputy for engineering at Mobile Air Depot, Mobile, Ala., and in June 1948 was made director of maintenance.
In 1946 he was integrated as a regular officer.
In 1949 he was a student at the Economic Mobilization, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, graduating in 1950. Thereafter he was assigned as director of materiel, 15th Air Force, Strategic Air Command at March Field, Calif. In this same period of duty, during the Korean War, he was also assigned for a period of eight months as the director of materiel, SAC Bomber Command, a unit of the Strategic Air Force, with headquarters in Yokota, Japan.
He departed March Field in January 1954 for duty in Europe as chief of maintenance, U.S. Air Forces in Europe and assistant director of materiel for U.S. Air Forces in Europe.
In 1955 he was promoted to the rank of brigadier general and was assigned as commander of Nouasseur Air Depot, Morocco and as senior liaison officer and political advisor on French and Moroccan matters for the commander in chief, U.S. Air Forces in Europe.
From this assignment he returned to the U.S. in May 1956 and assumed the position as commander, Dayton Air Force Depot, Dayton, Ohio, which is the focal point for all airborne radio and radar and electronics for the U.S. Air Force.
In May 1958 he was nominated to the post of general manager, NATO Maintenance Supply Services Agency, Paris, France, with responsibility for the supply of maintenance materials among NATO nations with the objective of maximizing the effectiveness of logistics support to NATO armed forces and minimizing the cost to NATO nations individually and collectively.