Died Feb. 1, 1967.
Charles Henry Caldwell was born at Tampa, Fla., in 1900. During World War I he served as a private, corporal, sergeant and battalion sergeant major in Battery A of the Second Regiment of Field Artillery. He was honorably discharged Feb. 20, 1920 and the following year was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. Upon graduation in June 1925, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Air Service of the Regular Army.
His first assignment was at Brooks Field, Texas, where he received his ground school instruction and flying training at the Air Service Primary Flying School. Completing his courses there in March 1926, he went to Kelly Field, Texas, where he graduated from the Air Service Advanced Flying School the following September. He then was ordered to Mitchel Field, Long Island, N.Y., where he served successively as post signal officer, supply officer of the First Observation Squadron and supply officer of the Ninth Observation Group.
In June 1928, he entered the Air Corps Engineering School at Wright Field, Ohio, and upon graduation a year later remained at that station for duty with the Field Supply and Technical Control Branch of the Air Corps Materiel Division. In July 1930, he became assistant chief of the Aircraft, Engines and Spares Branch of the Field Service Section, where he served until October 1932, when he was named chief of the Administrative Branch of the Air Corps Materiel Division.
His next assignment was at Nichols Field, Philippine Islands, where he served as operations officer and assistant engineering officer of the 28th Bombardment Squadron from July 1933 until July 1934. At that time he assumed command of the Fourth Composite Group Headquarters Detachment. He served simultaneously as post and group adjutant, later becoming flight commander at Nichols Field. In March, 1935, he again become post adjutant and served in this capacity until his return to the United States the following July.
He entered the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala., in August 1935, and upon graduation in June 1936, remained at Maxwell Field for two months. He then went to Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he graduated from the Command and General Staff School in June 1937. His next assignment was at Langley Field, Va., as personnel officer of the Second Bombardment Group, General Headquarters Air Force. In March 1938 he was named assistant operations officer of the Second Wing at that same post. From July 1939 through January 1940 he served as operations officer of the Second Wing and as a member of the Flying Evaluation Board at Langley Field.
During the next five months he was a flight commander of the 43rd Bombardment Squadron at Langley Field, and later at MacDill Field, Fla. In November 1940 he moved to Tampa, Fla., as executive officer of the Third Wing, and the following January became assistant chief of staff for personnel of the Third Air Force.
He was ordered to duty with the U.S. Army Forces in the Far East in November, 1941, and served as assistant chief of staff for operations at Headquarters Air Force in that theater until March, 1942. At that time he became assistant chief of staff for personnel of the 10th Air Force in the China-Burma-India Theater.
Returning to the United States in June 1943, he was made a member of the Asiatic Section, Theater Group, and Operations Division of the War Department General Staff at Washington, D.C. In January 1944, he became chief of staff of the First Air Force at Mitchel Field, N.Y. In March 1945, he was ordered to Washington, D.C. for temporary duty in the Office of the Assistant Chief of Air Staff for Operations at Air Force headquarters.
In December of that year he was assigned as military attach and air attach to Argentina, with station at Buenos Aires.
In November 1948, he became chief of staff of the Technical Division of the Air Training Command at Scott Air Force Base, Belleville, Ill. The following October the Technical Division was eliminated and he was appointed chief of staff of Air Training Command with station at Scott Air Force Base.
He assumed command of Lowry Air Force Base at Denver, Colo., in April 1950.
General Caldwell has been awarded the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal and Purple Heart. He received the Knight of the Order of the Southern Cross from the Republic of Brazil in June 1940 for participation in the Brazilian flight.
He is rated a command pilot, combat observer, and aircraft observer.