Retired March 1, 1962. Died Nov. 1, 1975.
Charles Henry Morhouse was born in Ticonderoga, N.Y., in 1902. He graduated from the local high school and entered Brown University, Providence, R.I., graduating in June 1925. On a teaching fellowship he received his master of science degree in biology and was elected a member of Sigma Xi, the honorary scientific society. After teaching one year at Lehigh University in the Department of Biology, he entered the University of Vermont Medical School, graduating in June 1932, cum laude, and at the same time received a commission as first lieutenant Medical Corps Reserve.
Lieutenant Morhouse accepted an internship at the Station Hospital, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, where he served until May 1933 and was then ordered to Civilian Conservation Corps Duty. In September of that year he was appointed a first lieutenant in the Medical Corps, U.S. Army.
In January 1934 Lieutenant Morhouse was ordered to the Medical Field Service School, Carlisle Barracks, Pa., from which be graduated in June 1934. His assignment following graduation was with the 26th Infantry at Plattsburgh Barracks, N.Y., where he served until November 1935 at which time he was ordered to the School of Aviation Medicine, Randolph Field, Texas. His service since that time has been with the Air Corps and the Air Force; his first assignment being in Mitchel Field, N.Y. In 1940 be reported to Nichols Field, Philippine Islands as base surgeon and senior flight surgeon and was there at the outbreak of war.
When the Provisional Air Corps Regiment was organized shortly after the start of the war, Major Morhouse was appointed surgeon and went to Bataan where he remained until March 10, 1942 when he was summoned to Corregidor and departed the following day as personal physician to General MacArthur and his staff on their escape from Corregidor. He remained with General MacArthur as family doctor and aide-de-camp until July 1944 when he returned to the United States and was appointed surgeon of Regional Station Hospital, Mitchel Field, N.Y.
Following approximately two years service at Mitchel Field, during which time he established a very effective air evacuation program for sick and wounded returning from the European Theater, he was sent to Harvard University School of Public Health. For his performance at Mitchel Field, he received a Legion of Merit and in addition, the entire hospital was awarded the Distinguished Service Plaque. Following graduation from Harvard School of Public Health, he reported for duty at the School of Aviation Medicine, Randolph Field, Texas and in 1950 opened a new hospital at Sampson Air Force Base, N.Y. In 1952 a hospital group was organized which he took to the United Kingdom and established a 250 bed hospital at Wimpole Park in East Anglia. In 1954 be was appointed surgeon of the 3rd Air Force.