Brig. Gen. Charles V. Ickes II is Deputy Director, Air National Guard, Arlington, Va. He assists the Director in formulating, developing and coordinating all policies, plans and programs affecting more than 106,000 Guard members in more than 1,841 units throughout the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Virgin Islands.
General Ickes received his commission in 1970 through the ROTC program at Grove City College in Pennsylvania. He has served in numerous flying and operations assignments. He converted to the F-15 in November 1995 and currently has more than 400 hours in the F-15, and more than 4,300 hours in the F-16, F-106, C-26 and the T-33. The general commanded the 125th Fighter Wing and, prior to his current assignment, was the Air National Guard's Chief Operating Officer.
1970 Bachelor of Arts degree in history, Grove City College, Pennsylvania
1975 Interceptor Weapons School
1984 Squadron Officer School
1992 Air Command and Staff College
1995 Air War College
2004 Seminar XXI
1. October 1970 - October 1971, student, undergraduate pilot training, Craig AFB, Selma, Ala.
2. October 1971 - June 1972, F-106 combat crew training, Tyndall AFB, Panama City, Fla.
3. June 1972 - January 1976, pilot, 87th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich.
4. June 1976 - July 1977, instructor pilot, 2nd Fighter Interceptor Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
6. July 1977 - September 1978, Chief of Syllabus Development, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. September 1978 - March 1989, pilot, 159th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Jacksonville International Airport, Fla.
8. March 1989 - September 1992, Chief of Scheduling, 159th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Jacksonville IAP, Fla.
9. September 1992 - October 1993, Operations Support Squadron Commander, 125th Fighter Interceptor Group, Jacksonville IAP, Fla.
10. October 1993 - August 1995, current operations officer, 159th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, Jacksonville IAP, Fla.
11. August 1995 - March 1996, Operations Group Commander, 125th Fighter Wing, Jacksonville IAP, Fla.
12. March 1996 - August 2002, Commander, 125th Fighter Wing, Jacksonville IAP, Fla.
13. August 2002 - February 2005, Chief Operating Officer, Air National Guard, Arlington, Va.
14. February 2005 - present, Deputy Director, Air National Guard, Arlington, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,700
Aircraft flown: F-15, F-16, C-26, F-106, T-33, T-37 and T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with two bronze stars
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with gold hourglass and "M" device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 3, 1970
First Lieutenant April 9, 1972
Captain Aug. 9, 1974
Major Sept. 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 1991
Colonel Nov. 4, 1995
Brigadier General June 23, 2003