Retired Feb. 1, 1975. Died Sep. 1, 2001.
Brigadier General Clarence J. Douglas Jr., is commander of the 1st Composite Wing, Headquarters Command, U.S. Air Force, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
General Douglas was born in Corry, Pa., in 1924, and graduated from Strong Vincent High School, Erie, Pa., in 1942. He entered active military service in October 1943 as an aviation cadet and graduated as a navigator with a commission as second lieutenant in December 1944. He continued training as a student officer and obtained an additional rating as radar observer.
From April 1945 to January 1948, he had duties as crewmember in B-29 aircraft at various air bases in the United States. In February 1948 he joined the 72d Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron, Ladd Air Force Base, Alaska, and participated in the aerial mapping of the Arctic as well as improved polar navigation techniques. The 72d Squadron returned to the United States in July 1949 with station at Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, and later Travis Air Force Base, Calif. In 1950 General Douglas spent six months in reconnaissance efforts in England.
In November 1951 General Douglas entered pilot training and graduated as a multiengine pilot in December 1952. During the next three and one-half years he was executive officer/aircraft commander in the 109th Radar Calibration Squadron and 4713th Radar Evaluation Squadron stationed at Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y., establishing radar defense sites and flying simulated attack sorties in B-25 and B-29 aircraft.
Between September 1956 and July 1958, General Douglas attended the University of Pittsburgh under the Air Force Institute of Technology program, graduating magna cum laude with a bachelor of business administration degree and unique honors as a "university scholar." He next joined the 99th Air Refueling Wing, Westover Air Force Base, Mass., and was assistant operations officer and aircraft commander in KC-135 aircraft.
In September 1960 he entered the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. In July 1961 General Douglas was transferred to Norton Air Force Base, Calif., and headed the Site Activation Branch of the Titan Missile System Program Office. During this tour of duty, he developed special management tools and industrial engineering procedures which materially contributed to cost reductions on the Titan II.
General Douglas graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1965, concurrently obtaining his master's degree in business administration from The George Washington University. In August 1965 he was assigned as a research and development management specialist in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. In July 1966 he reported for duty as military assistant to the special assistant to the secretary and deputy secretary of defense. Shortly thereafter, he was selected to be assistant to the director for program management on the Defense Communications Agency Group and was one of the key staff members involved in fielding a system on sensor technology for Southeast Asia.
In September 1970 General Douglas assumed duties as chief of staff, United States Taiwan Defense Command. During the next two years he focused on strengthening the Mutual Defense Treaty capabilities through integration of Joint Strategic Objectives Plan and military assistance programs and through the development of valid United States and Republic of China defense doctrine.
General Douglas became commander of the 1st Composite Wing, Headquarters Command, U.S. Air Force, at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., in September 1972.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon, and the Order of Cloud and Banner from the Republic of China.
General Douglas' hometown is Erie, Pa.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general effective Oct. 1, 1970 with date of rank Sept. 28, 1970.