Retired Aug. 1, 1999.
Brig. Gen. Clayton "Gary" Bridges is comptroller of Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
The general was commissioned through the Airman Education Commissioning Program and Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in 1972. His career has spanned all levels of comptroller positions, including assignments as base accounting and finance officer, base budget officer and base management analysis officer; center comptroller and comptroller of three major commands. The general has also served as a major command plans and programs officer and served two tours in the directorate of budget, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. Prior to commissioning, he performed enlisted duties as a radio repairman and airborne radio operator, flying combat missions with the 5th Special Operations Squadron.
1972 Bachelor of science degree in accounting, University of Tennessee
1976 Master of science degree in management, Troy State University
1976 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1982 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1988 Industrial College of Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. September 1972 - September 1974, accounting and finance officer, Air Force Special Weapons Center, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
2. September 1974 - July 1978, deputy accounting and finance officer, management analysis officer, budget officer, and chief of management and budget, 81st Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Bentwaters, United Kingdom
3. July 1978 - January 1981, budget officer, operating appropriations division, directorate of budget, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. January 1981 - August 1981, assistant to the deputy director of budget (operations), Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1981 - January 1982, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
6. January 1982 - July 1983, plans and programs officer, program initiatives division, deputy chief of staff, plans and programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
7. July 1983 - June 1984, chief, program initiatives division, deputy chief of staff, plans and programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
8. June 1984 - July 1987, chief, investment funds division, deputy chief of staff, comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
9. July 1987 - June 1988, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
10. July 1988 - July 1989, deputy comptroller, Arnold Engineering Development Center, Arnold Air Force Base, Tenn.
11. July 1989 - September 1991, assistant for budget programs and director, budget management and execution, Air Force secretariat, Washington, D.C.
12. September 1991 - July 1992, assistant deputy chief of staff, financial management and comptroller; and chairman, program review committee, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
13. July 1992 - July 1993, assistant deputy chief of staff, financial management; and comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
14. July 1993 - November 1994, director, financial management, and comptroller, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
15. November 1994 - July 1995, director, financial management, and comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
16. July 1995 - present, comptroller, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Presidential Unit Citation
Marine Corps Presidential Unit Citation with bronze star
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and oak leaf cluster
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Vietnam Service Medal with three bronze service stars
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Long with oak leaf cluster
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
1977 U.S. Air Force's Outstanding Budget Officer
1986 U.S. Air Force's Association Outstanding Logistics Comptroller
1990 Certified at Level III in the Financial Management Cell of the Acquisition Professional Development Program
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sep 20, 1972
First Lieutenant Sep 20, 1974
Captain Sep 20, 1976
Major Nov 1, 1981
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1985
Colonel Jul 1, 1988
Brigadier General Aug 1, 1996