Retired April 30, 1953.
Cornelius Joseph Mara was born in Elizabeth N.J., in 1896. He graduated from high school at Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1912, and attended Columbia University in New York City.
In May 1918, he enlisted in the Army and served as a field clerk until April 29, 1926, when he was appointed a warrant officer, in which capacity he served at various Army stations in the United States and Panama for the following 14 years.
On Nov. 18, 1940, he was commissioned a captain in the XX Quartermaster Corps Reserve. In October 1941, he was transferred to the Air Corps Reserve and assigned as executive officer of the Inspection Division in the Office of the Chief of Air Corps. In August 1942, he was named commandant of the Administrative Inspector School at Fort Logan, Colo., and in January 1944, became director of the Inspection Department of the Army Air Forces School of Applied Tactics at Orlando, Fla.
General Mara was transferred to Army Air Forces headquarters, Washington, D.C., in June 1944, as executive to the secretary of the Air Staff.
In February 1945, he was designated secretary of staff of the Continental Air Forces at Bolling Field, D.C., and in January 1946, assumed that position with Strategic Air Command at Andrews Field, Md.
In January 1947, General Mara was appointed executive officer for plans and policies of the War Assets Administration and in August 1947, he was assigned to the Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Personnel at Air Force headquarters. In November 1947, he was transferred to the Directorate of Legislation and Liaison of the Air Force as liaison officer with the White House.
On May 3, 1949, General Mara was named assistant military aide to President Truman.
He was transferred to Air Force headquarters, Washington D.C., in January 1953.
General Mara has been awarded the Legion of Merit and the Army Commendation Ribbon with oak leaf cluster. He also has received medals from the governments of Greece, Guatemala and Nicaragua.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
He was promoted to major May 4, 1942; to lieutenant colonel June 3, 1942; to colonel Sept. 4, 1944, and to brigadier general Sept. 5, 1952.