Retired Aug. 1, 2004.
Brig. Gen. David A. Wagie is Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. He commands the 800-member dean of the faculty mission element and oversees the annual design and instruction of more than 500 undergraduate courses for 4,000 cadets in 31 academic disciplines. He also directs the operation of 5 support staff agencies and faculty resources involving more than $250 million.
The general entered the Air Force in 1968 as a member of the academy's 14th graduating class where he was honored as a distinguished graduate in 1972. He flew as a KC-135 aircraft commander and EC-135 research pilot. Later, at the academy, he served as an associate professor and deputy head of astronautics. He also held positions as deputy commandant, permanent professor for military instruction, director of the Center for Character Development and vice dean of the faculty. While at the academy, he also served as a T-43 pilot. He currently flies as a T-41 instructor pilot.
1972 Distinguished graduate, bachelor of science degree in engineering sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1973 Master of science degree in aeronautics and astronautics, Stanford University, Calif.
1977 Master of science degree in systems management, University of Southern California, Plattsburgh Air Force Base, N.Y. extension
1984 Doctor of philosophy in aeronautics and astronautics, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1987 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1988 Air War College
1. April 1973 - May 1974, pilot trainee, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. June 1974 - October 1974, KC-135 pilot trainee, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. November 1974 - May 1979, KC-135 pilot and executive officer, 310th Air Refueling Squadron, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
4. May 1979 - May 1981, instructor, department of astronautics, and T-41 instructor pilot, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
5. May 1981 - June 1984, student, doctoral program, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
6. June 1984 - June 1985, EC-135 research pilot and Director of Test Operations, 4952nd Test Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. June 1985 - June 1986, EC-135 research pilot and Deputy Chief, Aircraft and Avionics Division, 4950th Test Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. July 1986 - May 1987, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 1987 - July 1992, associate professor and deputy head, department of astronautics, and T-41 instructor pilot, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. July 1992 - June 1994, permanent professor and deputy commandant for military instruction and T-43 pilot, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
11. June 1994 - July 1996, Director, Center for Character Development, and T-43 pilot, 34th Training Wing, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
12. July 1996 - June 1998, Vice Dean of the Faculty and T-41 instructor pilot, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
13. June 1998 - present, Dean of the Faculty and T-41 instructor pilot, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 2,300
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, T-41, T-43, KC-135, EC-135, NKC-135 and C-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
1991-1995, officer representative, USAFA men's intercollegiate basketball team
1995-1996, officer representative, USAFA men's intercollegiate football team
1994-1996, USAFA representative, Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Service
1996-1998, chairman, Superintendent's Evaluation Committee (Preparatory School oversight)
Outstanding Military Educator Award, USAFA Department of Astronautics
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 7, 1972
First Lieutenant June 7, 1974
Captain June 7, 1976
Major Feb. 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 1988
Colonel March 11, 1993
Brigadier General July 1, 1998