Retired April 1, 1986.
Brigadier General David H. Williams Jr. is the inspector general, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
General Williams was born in 1934, in Rule, Texas. He received a bachelor of science degree in 1957 from the University of Texas, and a master's degree in 1973 from Auburn (Ala.) University. The general graduated from the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., in 1973.
The general received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program. Before entering active duty he was employed as a process engineer for the Celanese Corporation at Bishop, Texas. The general entered the Air Force in March 1958 and received his pilot wings in 1959 at Reese Air Force Base, Texas. Following combat crew training at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz., and Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., he was assigned to the 522nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, 27th Tactical Fighter Wing, Cannon Air Force Base, N.M.
From November 1961 to September 1965, the general was a member of the 493rd Tactical Fighter Squadron and later the tactical evaluation section of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing at Royal Air Force Station Lakenheath, England. In August 1965 he returned to Luke Air Force Base as an instructor pilot.
In January 1967 General Williams graduated from the Aerospace Research Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., and was assigned to Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., as a flight test officer. He served as a combat pilot at Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand, and weapons liaison officer at Headquarters 7th Air Force, Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, from January 1969 to September 1970. He then returned to Eglin Air Force Base and was assigned to the Armament Laboratory as a defense suppression program director until July 1972, when he entered the Air War College. In early 1974 the general was assigned as assistant deputy commander for operations for the 432nd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing and then as commander of the 4th Tactical Fighter Squadron at Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand.
From January 1975 to March 1979, General Williams was chief of the Fighter Requirements Division and special assistant to the deputy chief of staff for research and development at Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He then became deputy commander for operations of the 57th Tactical Training Wing, Nellis Air Force Base. He held this position until August 1979 when he was assigned as commander of the 3246th Test Wing at Eglin Air Force Base. In August 1982 General Williams was assigned to Canadian Forces Base, North Bay, Ontario, as deputy commander of the Canadian North American Aerospace Defense Command Region and senior U.S. military officer in Canada. In October 1983 he became deputy chief of staff for test and evaluation at Andrews Air Force Base. He assumed his present duties in August 1985.
The general is a command pilot and has flown the A-10, F-4, F-16, F-100, F-104 and numerous other aircraft. His military decorations and awards include the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters and Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster.
He was promoted to brigadier general Oct. 1, 1982, with same date of rank.