Retired May 1, 1980.
Brigadier General David M. Mullaney is deputy assistant to the secretary of defense (atomic energy), Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
General Mullaney was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1926. In June 1944 he graduated from Chaminade High School, Mineola, Long Island, N.Y. He attended Holy Cross College, Worcester, Mass., from 1945 to 1947, obtained his bachelor of science degree from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1951 and his master of science degree from the Air Force Institute of Technology in 1956. He also graduated from the National War College in 1968.
General Mullaney entered the U.S. Army Air Corps in January 1945 and, following discharge in October 1945, remained in the reserve until he entered the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md. He received his Air Force commission as a second lieutenant upon graduation from the academy in 1951.
In August 1953 he completed training in electronics and armament at Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., and Lowry Air Force Base, Colo. He then served as armament and special weapons officer for the 8th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, 49th Fighter-Bomber Wing in Korea and Japan.
In August 1954 he entered the Air Force Institute of Technology at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. In April 1956 he was assigned as branch chief in the Guided Missile Department at Lowry Air Force Base. From October 1957 to July 1960, he was an instructor in the Military Studies Division at the U.S. Air Force Academy. He subsequently was assigned as an exchange officer to the Royal Canadian Air Force headquarters in Ottawa, principally on the CF-104 program.
In August 1964 General Mullaney joined Headquarters U.S. Air Force in Washington, D.C., as plans officer in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations. From August 1967 to July 1968, he attended the National War College at Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C. He then was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md., where he served first in the General Purpose Forces Division and later as assistant for programs and analysis in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Development Plans. From August 1972 to May 1975 he was the commander, USAF School of Applied Aerospace Sciences, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
General Mullaney was assigned to the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, Belgium, in May 1975 as special assistant to the chief of staff and later served as executive to the chief of staff.
On Aug. 2, 1976, after a one-month assignment at Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, as deputy chief of staff, development plans, General Mullaney was appointed deputy assistant chief of staff, intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force. He assumed his present position Nov. 1, 1978.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Joint Service Commendation Medal and Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general Dec. 15, 1975, with date of rank Nov. 23, 1975.