Retired Jan. 1, 2000.
Brig. Gen. Dennis R. Samic is comptroller of Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As the command's chief financial officer, he is responsible for more than 35 percent of the Air Force appropriated budget. He provides executive and technical guidance to 5,000 financial personnel supporting weapon system research, development, test and repair at 16 AFMC locations.
The general was commissioned as a second lieutenant after completing the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Ohio State University in 1970. He has held a variety of financial management positions at base, major command, separate operating agency, sub-unified command, Air Staff and secretariat levels.
1970 Bachelor of science degree in business administration, Ohio State University, Columbus
1973 Master's degree in systems management, University of Southern California, Los Angeles
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1981 Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
1989 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
1. March 1970 - November 1973, base cost analysis officer, later base budget officer, 306th Combat Support Group, McCoy Air Force Base, Fla.
2. November 1973 - April 1977, budget analyst, later executive officer to the deputy chief of staff, comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
3. April 1977 - August 1980, commander's aide, later assistant to the comptroller, then assistant chief of staff, Headquarters Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Dallas, Texas
4. August 1980 - January 1981, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
5. January 1981 - July 1985, financial analyst, then chief, Comptroller Plans Division, then chief, Retired Pay Entitlements Division, Air Force Accounting and Finance Center, Lowry Air Force Base, Colo.
6. July 1985 - August 1988, chief, comptroller information architecture, later executive officer to the comptroller of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. August 1988 - June 1989, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1989 - November 1990, deputy chief of staff, comptroller, Headquarters Alaskan Air Command, and comptroller, Alaskan Command, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
9. November 1990 - June 1992, assistant deputy chief of staff, financial management and comptroller, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
10. June 1992 - June 1995, comptroller, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
11. July 1995 - present, comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
1975 Air Force Budget Officer of the Year
Commandant's Award, Squadron Officer School
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Mar 19, 1970
First Lieutenant Oct 15, 1971
Captain Aug 15, 1973
Major Jul 1, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1984
Colonel Aug 1, 1989
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1994