Retired July 1, 1998.
Brigadier General Donald A. Streater is vice commander of Air Combat Command's 8th Air Force, with headquarters at Barksdale Air Force Base, La. The 8th Air Force, a general purpose numbered air force, oversees the wartime operations capability of its aircraft, including the EF-111, F-16, B-1, B-2 and B-52 bomber forces. It also oversees Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve bomber and fighter units located within 8th Air Force's command responsibility.
The general was commissioned through the University of North Carolina Reserve Officer Training Corps program in June 1969. He is experienced in airlift operations, Air Force programming and personnel assignments. He has commanded a flying squadron, an air base wing and two airlift wings. A command pilot, he has flown more than 4,300 hours, primarily in the C-130.
1969 Bachelor of science degree in political science, University of North Carolina
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1978 Master's degree in economics (human resources management), University of Utah
1980 Master's degree in military arts and sciences, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1981 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1983 Air War College, by correspondence
1988 Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. June 1969 - June 1970, undergraduate pilot training, Webb Air Force Base, Texas
2. November 1970 - November 1972, C-130E pilot, 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Ching Chuan Kang Air Base, Taiwan
3. December 1972 - August 1976, instructor pilot, wing flight examiner and wing plans officer, 41st Tactical Airlift Squadron, 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
4. August 1976 - June 1979, operational programming officer, directorate of programming and policy, and assistant executive officer, deputy chief of staff, plans, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
5. June 1979 - January 1981, student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
6. January 1981 - August 1983, instructor pilot and squadron chief of tactics, 39th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Pope Air Force Base, N.C.
7. August 1983 - August 1985, commander, 37th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Rhein-Main Air Base, West Germany
8. August 1985 - July 1987, chief, airlift special operations and rescue branch, rated assignments division, Headquarters Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
9. July 1987 - June 1988, student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
10. June 1988 - May 1990, chief, mobility forces division, directorate of programs and evaluation, and chairman of the mobility panel in the Air Force Board Structure, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. May 1990 - July 1991, commander, 834th Air Base Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
12. July 1991 - April 1992, commander, 435th Tactical Airlift Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany
13. April 1992 - April 1994, deputy director, programs and evaluation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. May 1994 - July 1996, commander, 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
15. July 1996 - present, vice commander, 8th Air Force, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
Rating: Command pilot
Flying hours: More than 4,300
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-130, C-9 and B-1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 4, 1969
First Lieutenant Dec 2, 1970
Captain Jun 2, 1972
Major Sep 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Feb 1, 1984
Colonel Jun 1, 1988
Brigadier General Jul 15, 1994