Retired Aug. 1, 2002.
Brig. Gen. Donald P. Pettit is Commander, 45th Space Wing, and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. He is also Deputy Department of Defense Manager for Manned Space Flight Support. As commander, the general oversees the preparation and launching of U.S. government and commercial satellites from Cape Canaveral Air Station, Fla., and grants final approval for all launches on the Eastern Range. He also manages the wings launch and range infrastructure that supports space launch and missile test operations. The 45th Space Wing also provides launch facilities, property and services to support NASA and commercial space operations from Cape Canaveral. The general is responsible for more than 11,000 government and contractor personnel, and eight tenant units and operating sites at Patrick Air Force Base, Cape Canaveral Air Station, the Jonathan Dickinson Annex in Malabar, Fla., Antigua Air Station in the Lesser Antilles, and Ascension Island in the South Atlantic.
General Pettit enlisted in the Air Force in 1968 and received his commission as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program in 1974. He has served in operations and strategic policy within the Joint Staff, at Headquarters U.S. Air Force and major commands. General Pettit has commanded an intercontinental ballistic missile squadron and wing, and is a master missileer.
1974 Bachelor of arts degree in education, University of Miami, Miami, Fla.
1978 Master of arts degree in counseling, Pepperdine University, Malibu, Calif.
1979 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1981 Marine Corps Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1985 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1995 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. December 1968 - September 1972, enlisted aircraft electronics technician, 31st Tactical Fighter Wing, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
2. July 1974 - September 1974, student, Minuteman Missile Combat Crew Training Program, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
3. September 1974 - June 1978, Minuteman combat crew member, deputy flight commander, commander, and wing senior standardization evaluator, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
4. June 1978 - June 1981, Minuteman operations evaluator, 3901st Strategic Missile Evaluation Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
5. June 1981 - June 1982, Air Staff Training Program officer, Office of the Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. June 1982 - July 1984, planner, Directorate of ICBM Requirements, Systems Development Division, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
7. July 1984 - June 1985, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
8. June 1985 - August 1987, missile operations staff officer, Srategic Division, later, executive officer, Directorate of Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1987 - June 1989, strategic policy planner, Nuclear and Chemical Division, later, executive officer to the vice director, Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1989 - January 1991, Commander, 68th Strategic Missile Squadron, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D.
11. January 1991 - June 1992, Aide-De-Camp to the Commander in Chief, Strategic Air Command, redesignated U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
12. June 1992 - June 1993, senior controller, Operations Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
13. July 1993 - July 1994, Commander, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont.
14. July 1994 - June 1995, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
15. June 1995 - October 1997, Chief, Nuclear Operations Division, Operations Directorate, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
16. October 1997 - May 1998, Deputy Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
17. June 1998 - August 1999, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
18. August 1999 - present, Commander, 45th Space Wing; Director, Eastern Range; and Deputy Department of Defense Manager for Manned Space Flight Support, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jul 4, 1974
First Lieutenant Jul 4, 1976
Captain Jul 4, 1978
Major Aug 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 1989
Colonel Jan 1, 1993
Brigadier General Mar 1, 1999