Retired July 1, 1995.
Brigadier General (Dr.) Jerry D. Gardner is director of dental services, Office of the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base, District of Columbia. As director of dental services, he assists the surgeon general in developing dental service plans, policies and standards pertaining to personnel, facilities, dental investigation, and dental health programs. He is responsible for the selection, training, career control and personnel utilization for the dental service. He is also the principle adviser on all dental matters and ensures the coordination of dental activities with those of the medical service for the prime purpose of effecting a total and complete health program in full support of the Air Force military mission.
The general entered the Air Force in 1964 as a dental intern. He has served as a general dentist, staff member for residency programs, department of prosthodontics chairman, assistant director of dental services, director of dental services, command dental surgeon, and deputy assistant surgeon general for dental services.
1962 Bachelor of science degree in dentistry, University of Illinois School of Dentistry, Chicago.
1964 Doctorate of dental surgery, cum laude, University of Illinois School of Dentistry, Chicago.
1972 Master of science degree in prosthodontics, Boston University School of Graduate Dentistry.
1. June 1964 - July 1965, dental intern, USAF Hospital Carswell, Carswell Air Force Base, Texas.
2. July 1965 - January 1967, general dental officer, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
3. January 1967 - January 1968, general dentist, USAF Hospital Cam Ranh, Cam Ranh Bay Air Base, Republic of Vietnam.
4. January 1968 - June 1970, general dentist, USAF Hospital Patrick, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
5. June 1970 - May 1972, student, Boston University School of Graduate Dentistry.
6. May 1972 - June 1976, chief, fixed prosthodontics and staff member for the general dental practice residency program, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
7. June 1976 - June 1979, staff member for the prosthodontics postgraduate course and for the prosthodontics residency training program, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
8. June 1979 - August 1981, chairman, department of prosthodontics and assistant director of dental services, USAF Medical Center Scott, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
9. August 1981 - July 1982, chairman of the prosthodontics department, USAF Regional Medical Center Wiesbaden, Federal Republic of Germany.
10. July 1982 - August 1984, director of dental services, USAF Regional Medical Center Wiesbaden.
11. August 1984 - July 1985, director of dental services, USAF Medical Center Scott, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
12. July 1985 - July 1989, command dental surgeon, Headquarters Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
13. July 1989 - June 1990, director of dental services, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
14. June 1990 - May 1993, deputy assistant surgeon general for dental services, Bolling Air Force Base, District of Columbia.
15. May 1993 - present, U.S. Air Force director of dental services, Bolling Air Force Base, District of Columbia.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Vietnam Service Medal with three service stars
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
United States Marine Corps Commandant's Certificate of Commendation
Consultant to the Air Force surgeon general in prosthodontics
Special Consultant to the assistant surgeon general for dental services in fixed prosthodontics
Diplomate of the American Board of Prosthodontics
Fellow in the American College of Prosthodontics
Fellow in the International College of Dentists
Air Force delegate to the American Dental Association
Licensed to practice dentistry, Florida
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Jun 11, 1964
Major Jun 11, 1970
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 11, 1973
Colonel Jun 11, 1979
Brigadier General Jun 1, 1990