Retired Sep. 1, 1998.
Brigadier General (Dr.) Theodore C. Almquist is assistant surgeon general for dental services, Office of the Surgeon General, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C. He is dual-hatted as commander of the 89th Medical Group, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.; with additional responsibility as TRICARE lead agency for DOD Region 1. As assistant surgeon general for dental services, he assists the surgeon general in developing dental service plans, policies and standards pertaining to personnel, facilities, dental investigation and dental health programs. He is responsible for the selection, training, career control and personnel utilization for the dental service. He is also the principle adviser on all dental matters and ensures the coordination of dental activities with those of the medical service for the prime purpose of effecting a total and complete health program in full support of the Air Force military mission.
As commander of the 89th Medical Group, the general is responsible for the management of a diverse, highly visible 185-bed medical center. He commands more than 1,650 personnel, delivering quality medical care to more than 440,000 eligible beneficiaries in the national capitol area. As the TRICARE lead agent for DOD Region 1, he is responsible for joint planning, development coordination and implementation of TRICARE initiatives for more than 1.1 million beneficiaries; three major medical centers and 21 other hospitals and clinics in the region.
1963 Bachelor of science degree, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn.
1966 Doctor of dental science degree, University of Iowa, College of Dentistry
1972 Master of science degree, University of Texas, Houston Dental Branch
1. June 1966 - July 1967, dental intern, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. July 1967 - July 1970, general dentist and assistant base dental surgeon, Royal Air Force Upper Heyford, England
3. July 1970 - July 1972, general dentistry resident, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
4. July 1972 - July 1975, chief of the department of general dentistry and assistant director for the general practice residency program, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
5. July 1975 - July 1976, chief of general dentistry and chief of aeromedical dentistry, USAF Clinic Ramstein, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
6. July 1976 - July 1978, officer in charge and base dental surgeon, Medical Aid Station Hessisch-Oldendorf, Hessisch-Oldendorf Air Station, West Germany
7. July 1978 - July 1979, assistant chairman for resident education, department of general dentistry, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
8. July 1979 - July 1980, chairman of dental education and research, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
9. July 1980 - July 1984, chief of clinical dentistry and assistant chief of the USAF Dental Investigation Service, School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
10. July 1984 - July 1988, director of dental services, Ehrling Bergquist Strategic Hospital, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
11. July 1988 - July 1990, command dental surgeon, Alaskan Air Command and base dental surgeon, USAF Regional Hospital Elmendorf, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
12. July 1990 - July 1995, director of dental services, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
13. July 1995 - present, assistant surgeon general for dental services, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.; commander, 89th Medical Group, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.; and chairman, TRICARE Region 1
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force delegate to the American Dental Association
Air Force representative to the Dean's Council, American Association of Dental Schools
Charter member of the Academy of Operative Dentistry
Charter member of the Air Force Chapter of the Academy of General Dentistry
Member, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
Member, Air Force Association
Associate professor, University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston Dental Branch
Dental School Advisory Council, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Board of Regents Adviser, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Outstanding Young Men of America
Member, Psi Omega dental fraternity, Gamma Mu Chapter
Licensed to practice dentistry, Iowa
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Jun 10, 1966
Major Jan 1, 1972
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 10, 1975
Colonel Jun 10, 1981
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1995