Brig. Gen. (Dr.) William J. Germann is Commander, 89th Medical Group, Andrews Air Force Base, Md. As commander, he commands a 60-bed medical center, with more than 1,500 airman and civilians who deliver quality medical care to more than 393,000 eligible beneficiaries in the national capital area.
General Germann was born in Minneapolis, Minn., and graduated from the College of St. Thomas with a degree in biology and as a distinguished graduate from the college's ROTC Program. He was commissioned into the Air Force in May 1978. He subsequently went to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., where he earned his doctor of medicine degree. He completed his internship in family practice at Malcolm Grow USAF Medical Center at Andrews.
General Germann is dual board certified by both the American Academy of Family Practice and the American Board of Medical Management. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physician Executives and a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians, American College of Healthcare Executives, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, and the Society of USAF Flight Surgeons.
1974 Graduate, St. Thomas Military Academy
1978 Bachelor of arts degree in biology, College of St. Thomas
1982 Doctor of medicine degree, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Md.
1983 Family Practice internship, Malcolm Grow USAF Medical Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
1985 Family Practice residency, Malcolm Grow USAF Medical Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
1987 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1988 Aerospace Medicine Primary Course
1991 Master?s degree in business administration, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
1994 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Joint Task Force Surgeon's Course, Norfolk, Va.
1. June 1978 - June 1982, student, Medical Training Program, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Md.
2. July 1982 - June 1983, intern, Family Practice Internship Program, Malcolm Grow USAF Medical Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
3. July 1983 - June 1985, resident, Family Practice Residency Program, Malcolm Grow USAF Medical Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. July 1985 - July 1988, Staff Family Physician and Assistant Chief, Clinic Services, USAF Clinic, Geilenkirchen Air Base, West Germany
5. July 1988 - June 1994, Flight Surgeon, Chief of Flight Medicine, Assistant Chief of Hospital Services, and then Chief of Hospital Services, USAF Hospital Ehrling Bergquist, Offutt AB, Neb.
6. June 1994 - June 1995, Commander, 8th Medical Group, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
7. June 1995 - June 1996, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 1996 - February 1997, USAF Surgeon General?s Chair to Air University, and faculty, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. February 1997 - June 1998, Commander, 51st Medical Group, and 7th Air Force Surgeon, Osan AB, Korea
10. June 1998 - July 2000, Commander, 375th Medical Group, Scott AFB, Ill.
11. July 2000 - April 2001, Associate Director, Directorate of Medical Programs and Resources, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, D.C.
12. April 2001 - January 2002, Assistant Surgeon General, Directorate of Medical Programs and Resources, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, and Commander, Air Force Medical Support Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
13. January 2002 - June 2003, Command Surgeon and Director of Medical Services and Training, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
14. June 2003 - present, Commander, 89th Medical Group, Andrews AFB, Md.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal
1978 Distinguished graduate, ROTC, College of St. Thomas
Board certified by American Academy of Family Practice and the American Board of Medical Management
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Fellow, American College of Physician Executives
American Academy of Family Physicians
American College of Healthcare Executives
Association of Military Surgeons of the United States Society of USAF Flight Surgeons
EFFECTIVE DATES OF APPOINTMENT
Captain May 20, 1982
Major May 20, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel Jan 31, 1993
Colonel May 30, 1997
Brigadier General Sep 1, 2003