Retired. Died June 28, 1997.
Edgar Alexander Sirmyer was born at Clemson College, S.C. in 1904. Completing high school at Washington, D.C. in June 1922, he attended preparatory schools in Michigan and California, and then entered West Point, graduating in June 1928. Upon graduation he was commissioned a second lieutenant of Infantry and appointed a flying cadet.
After completing the Advanced Flying School at Kelly Field, Texas in October 1929, and the Communications Officers Course at Chanute Field, Ill., in July 1933, General Sirmyer performed various administrative and command duties until September 1939 when he entered the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Montgomery, Ala. Graduating three months later he returned to March Field, Calif., and was assigned to the 17th Bomb Group. In April 1940 the general became Regional Control Officer of the First Airways and Air Communications Service Region at March Field, Calif. From August to October 1943 he attended the Command and General Staff School (Air Course) at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
Upon completion of the course General Sirmyer became assistant communications officer for the Mediterranean Allied Air Force, with station at La Marsa, Tunisia, and in March 1944 he was transferred to the Fifth Airways and Air communications Service Wing, London, England, to assume duty as commander.
Returning to the United States in June 1945, General Sirmyer was named commander of the First Airways and Air Communications Service Wing with headquarters at Love Field, Dallas, Texas. In January 1946 he moved the headquarters to Langley Field, Va., where he remained until August when he entered the Air War College at Maxwell Field, Ala. He graduated in July 1947 and returned to Langley Field as director of Communications for the Tactical Air Command.
Transferred to overseas in July 1948, General Sirmyer joined the Far East Air Force where he assumed duties as director of Communications at FEAF headquarters in Tokyo, Japan.
After serving as the Air Force member of the Air Navigation Development Board, Washing, D.C., from September 1952 to April 1953, the general became deputy commander of the U.S. Air Force Security Service, with headquarters at San Antonio, Texas.
Still with the U.S. Air Force Security Service, on Sept. 3, 1956 the general assumed duties as commander of the 6920th Security Wing, located at Shiroi Sub Air Base, Honshu, Japan.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, the Bronze Star Medal, the French Croix de Guerre, Avec Palm. He is rated a command pilot and combat observer.