Brig. Gen. Edward W. Tonini is Director of Your Guardians of Freedom, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Public Affairs, Washington, D.C. The general directs an outreach program designed to build and sustain public support for America's airmen in direct support of the global war on terrorism.
General Tonini is a 1973 graduate of Bellarmine University, Louisville, Ky., where he received a degree in history. The general is a career Air National Guard officer, who shortly after Sept. 11, 2001, was placed on active duty and brought to the Pentagon to direct Your Guardians of Freedom. Prior to his mobilization, he served as Chief of Staff of the Kentucky ANG. In that role, he served as the Adjutant General of Kentucky through the Assistant Adjutant General for Air as a principal adviser on matters pertaining to the states ANG. General Tonini oversaw the operational activities of Headquarters Kentucky ANG and all its staff agencies.
Prior to his position as Chief of Staff of the Kentucky ANG, he spent 26 years in public affairs. He is the first career public affairs officer in ANG history to be appointed a state Chief of Staff, and to attain the rank of general officer. He has extensive experience in dealing with the local, regional, national and international media. The general has produced news features and documentaries about the Kentucky ANG, and his writings have been published in newspapers and periodicals around the world.
1973 Bachelor of arts degree in history, Bellarmine University, Louisville, Ky.
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1984 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1988 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. March 1969 - September 1970, information technician, Headquarters Kentucky ANG, Frankfort, Ky.
2. September 1970 - January 1972, group information officer, 123rd Tactical Reconnaissance Group, Shewmaker Air National Guard Base, Ky.
3. January 1972 - September 1972, base fuels management officer, 123rd Supply Squadron, Shewmaker ANGB, Ky.
4. October 1972 - December 1974, non-appropriated funds information officer, Headquarters Kentucky ANG, Frankfort, Ky.
5. December 1974 - September 1979, wing information officer, 123rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Standiford Field, Ky.
6. October 1979 - August 1983, Chief of Public Affairs, 123rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Standiford Field, Ky.
7. August 1983 - April 1996, Chief of Public Affairs, Headquarters Kentucky ANG, Frankfort, Ky.
8. April 1996 - October 2002, Chief of Staff, Headquarters Kentucky ANG, Frankfort, Ky.
9. October 2001 - present, Director of Your Guardians of Freedom, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Public Affairs, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sep 1, 1970
First Lieutenant Sep 1, 1973
Captain Oct 18, 1975
Major Dec 7, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Jan 12, 1986
Colonel Jun 13, 1997
Brigadier General Oct 30, 1997