Selected for reassignment as Deputy Director for National Systems Operations, the Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
Brig. Gen. Floyd L. Carpenter is Commander, Air Force Officer Accession and Training Schools, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. As Commander, he is the single point manager for approximately 17,000 students in the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program, and 2,500 students in Officer Training School. He controls nearly 80 percent of line, chaplain, judge advocate, nurse, medical service and biomedical science officer production for the Air Force. He also oversees the Air Force Junior ROTC program at more than 744 locations with more than 108,000 students.
General Carpenter received his commission through the Corps of Cadets ROTC program at Texas A&M University in 1977. He earned his wings in 1979 and served as instructor pilot, aircraft commander and operations officer. The general has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, and from November 2002 through May 2003, he deployed as the Commander, 40th Air Expeditionary Wing, where he directed combat forces in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. His staff assignments include Deputy Chief of Air Force General Officer Matters at the Pentagon, and Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S. Pacific Command. Prior to his current assignment, General Carpenter was Commander, 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
General Carpenter is a command pilot with more than 4,000 hours in the B-52 and T-38.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree in economics, Texas A&M University, College Station
1986 Master of Science degree in industrial technology, Texas A&M University, Commerce
1992 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2002 Program for Executives, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pa.
1. February 1978 - January 1979, student, undergraduate pilot training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. March 1979 - August 1979, student, B-52 combat crew training, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. August 1979 - February 1982, B-52 standardization and evaluation copilot, 410th Bomb Wing, K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich.
4. February 1982 - August 1982, T-38 pilot instructor training, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. August 1982 - April 1986, T-38 standardization and evaluation instructor pilot, class commander and instructor pilot, 71st Training Wing, Reese AFB, Texas
6. April 1986 - August 1989, B-52 instructor pilot, flight commander, aircraft commander and wing executive officer, 7th Bomb Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
7. August 1989 - August 1991, Advanced Systems Program Manager and Director of Requirements, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
8. August 1991 - June 1992, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. June 1992 - June 1995, Chief, Rated Force Management, and Deputy Chief, Air Force General Officer Matters, Director of Personnel, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
10. June 1995 - August 1997, operations officer and Commander, 96th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. August 1997 - June 1998, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
12. July 1998 - June 2000, Commander, 5th Operations Group, Minot AFB, N.D.
13. June 2000 - December 2001, Deputy Chief of Staff, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
14. December 2001 - July 2002, executive assistant to Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
15. July 2002 - February 2004, Commander, 2nd Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
16. February 2004 - present, Commander, Air Force Officer Accession and Training Schools, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,000, including 300 combat hours
Aircraft: B-52G/H, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
NATO Medal (Kosovo)
1996 Mackay Trophy, U.S. Air Force Most Meritorious Flight of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 6, 1977
First Lieutenant Nov. 6, 1979
Captain Nov. 6, 1981
Major Aug. 1, 1989
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 1993
Colonel Aug. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Nov. 1, 2004