Retired Oct. 1, 2000.
Brig. Gen. Frank J. Anderson Jr. is commandant, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va. The college is a graduate-level institution that promotes sound systems-management principles by the acquisition work force through education, research, consulting and information dissemination.
The general received his Air Force commission in 1973 as an honor graduate of Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base. He has served in a range of acquisition positions and has been a contracting officer, commander of a plant representative office, director of contracting, system program director and a product group manager.
1972 Bachelor of arts degree in business management and economics, Chapman College, Orange, Calif.
1975 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1982 Master's degree in management, Central Michigan University
1984 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1987 Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1992 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1973 - September 1973, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 1973 - August 1976, base contracting officer; chief, Construction Branch, later, chief, Specialized Contracting Branch, Washington Area Contracting Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
3. September 1976 - June 1977, Education With Industry Program, Boeing VERTOL Company, Philadelphia, Pa.
4. July 1977 - August 1979, chief, Subcontractor Management Division, later, deputy chief, Contract Administration Division, General Electric Air Force Plant Representative Office, Philadelphia, Pa.
5. August 1979 - July 1983, personnel assignments officer, later, deputy chief, senior officer assignments, Directorate of Personnel, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
6. August 1983 - June 1984, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
7. June 1984 - December 1987, commander, Air Force Plant Representative Office, Rockwell International, Columbus, Ohio
8. January 1987 - June 1987, student, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
9. July 1987 - June 1989, director of contracting, Electronic Combat and Reconnaissance Systems Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
10. June 1989 - August 1990, director of programs and policy implementation, Deputy Chief of Staff for Contracting, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
11. August 1990 - August 1991, executive officer to the commander, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
12. August 1991 - June 1992, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
13. August 1992 - July 1994, systems program director, AGM-130 and GBU-15 Systems Program Office, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
14. August 1994 - July 1995, director, Weapons, Air Base and Range Product Support Office, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
15. August 1995 - July 1996, manager, Armament Product Group, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
16. July 1996 - August 1997, director of contracting, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
17. August 1997 - July 1999, deputy assistant secretary for contracting, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Acquisition, and Air Force competition advocate general, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
18. July 1999 - present, commandant, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Contracting, Level III Certification
Program Management, Level III Certification
Certified Lead Assessor for ISO 9000 Quality Systems
Certified Total Quality Management Facilitator
1980 Career Broadening Personnel Officer of the Year, Air Force Systems Command
1981 Outstanding Young Man of America
1982 Company Grade Officer of the Year, Air Force Systems Command
1988 Air Force Professionalism in Contracting Supervisory Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sep 26, 1973
First Lieutenant Sep 26, 1975
Captain Sep 26, 1977
Major Nov 1, 1982
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1985
Colonel Feb 1, 1991
Brigadier General Sep 1, 1997