Retired Nov. 1, 1970. Died May 11, 2003.
Brigadier General Frank Preuit Wood is deputy chief of staff, Personnel, Headquarters Tactical Air Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
General Wood was born in 1916,in Greenville, Texas, where he graduated from Greenville High School in 1933. He received his bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from the University of Texas in 1939 and was an electrical engineer with the Dallas Power and Light Company.
General Wood entered the Army Air Corps as an aviation cadet in February 1941, completed flying training at Randolph and Brooks fields, Texas, and was commissioned a second lieutenant in September 1941.
For the next two years during World War II, he served as a flight instructor and squadron commander at Brooks, Midland and Childress fields, Texas. From July 1943 until July 1945, he was operations officer and then commander of a B-24 aircraft bombardment squadron engaged in submarine and security patrol of the Panama sea frontier.
After the war, General Wood was assigned to Headquarters Air Training Command at Fort Worth, Texas. He was director of flying and assistant commandant of the Aircraft Observer Bombardier School at Mather Field, Calif., from July 1946 through May 1947, and then was appointed director of the multiengine flying school, Barksdale Air Force Base, La.
In August 1949 General Wood assumed command of the Pilot Training Group, 3500th Pilot Training Wing, Reese Air Force Base, Texas. In 1950 he attended the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., and after graduation was appointed an instructor at the Air Force Air Tactical School, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. In January 1951 he entered the Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
In July 1951 General Wood was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., where he was assigned to serve as chief, Colonels Group, Directorate of Military Personnel.
General Wood received an overseas assignment in July 1955 and served for the next 36 months as chief of the Air Force Section, Military Assistance Advisory Group in The Hague, Netherlands. He returned to the United States in July 1958 and became deputy commander of the 3615th Pilot Training Wing, Craig Air Force Base, Ala., and in June 1960, became commander of the wing.
In July 1962 General Wood was assigned as deputy chief of staff, Personnel, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. In August 1966 he became commander of Lackland Military Training Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. In this capacity, he was responsible for the direction of a wide range of training functions, which included basic training for new airmen, the U.S. Air Force Officer Training School, Marksmanship School, Air Police School and Cryptographic School.
He again went overseas in June 1967 and assumed the duties as chief of the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group in Italy, and senior Department of Defense representative to the Italian government. In July 1969 General Wood was assigned to Headquarters Tactical Air Command at Langley Air Force Base, Va., as Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel.
He is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours in both conventional and jet aircraft. Among his military decorations are the Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Army Commendation Medal, and Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon.
General Wood's hometown is Dallas, Texas.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of brigadier general effective Sept. 24, 1964, with date of rank Sept. 17, 1964.