Retired Aug. 1, 2003.
Brig. Gen. (Dr.) Gary H. Murray is Commander, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, and Assistant Surgeon General, Dental Services, Bolling Air Base, Washington, D.C. As the commander of AFMOA, he serves as a key adviser to the Air Force Surgeon General. He is responsible for developing and implementing plans, practices and procedures relevant to health services worldwide. He is also responsible for medical investigations. He provides guidance and exercises military command for a staff of 148 assigned to AFMOAs nine divisions.
General Murray was born in San Francisco, Calif. He received his dental degree from the University of Illinois School of Dentistry in 1973 and earned his certification from the Federal Services Board of General Dentistry in 1986. He is a diplomat of the board and has served as an examining board member. General Murray is a Fellow of the International College of Dentists and is a member of the American Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the Academy of Operative Dentistry.
1971 Bachelor of science degree, University of Illinois
1973 Doctor of dental science degree, University of Illinois School of Dentistry
1976 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1983 Residency in general dentistry, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1998 Air War College, by correspondence
1. July 1973 - February 1976, general dental officer, Barksdale AFB, La.
2. February 1976 - February 1977, clinic commander, Shemya AFB, Alaska
3. February 1977 - June 1980, assistant base dental surgeon, Sembach Air Force Base, West Germany
4. June 1980 - June 1983, resident, Department of General Dentistry, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
5. June 1983 - August 1985, Chief of Professional Services, Charleston AFB, S.C.
6. August 1985 - June 1989, base dental surgeon, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
7. June 1989 - July 1991, Dental Inspector, Health Services Management Inspection Team, Norton AFB, Calif.
8. July 1991 - July 1992, base dental surgeon, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
9. July 1992 - July 1995, Command Dental Surgeon, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
10. July 1995 - June 1996, Director of Dental Services, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. June 1996 - January 1998, Commander, 15th Medical Group, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
12. January 1998 - November 1999, Command Surgeon, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. November 1999 - present, Commander, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, and Assistant Surgeon General, Dental Services, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Jul 6, 1973
Major Mar 10, 1977
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 10, 1980
Colonel Mar 10, 1986
Brigadier General Feb 1, 2000