Brig. Gen. Gary T. McCoy is Director of Logistics and Sustainment, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He has responsibility for depot maintenance and supply management, two of the largest mission areas within the command. He develops and directs policy and procedures for major overhaul, repair and modification of weapon systems and spare parts. The depot maintenance activity is valued in excess of $6.5 billion in annual revenue and employs more than 35,000 people at the command?s three air logistics centers. He establishes guidance relating to the Air Force's retail and wholesale supply chain management of spare parts, valued at more than $5.8 billion. In addition, he directs policy and procedures for AFMC aircraft maintenance, munitions, supply, logistics plans, transportation, packaging, and fielding and sustaining AFMC logistics data systems. As the staff lead for logistics and sustainment issues, General McCoy plans and coordinates product support and acquisition logistics for all fielded and emerging Air Force weapon systems.
A South Carolina native, General McCoy was commissioned through the Officer Training School in July 1976 and has served in a variety of command and staff assignments. He began his career as a logistics officer with the Air Force Communications Service and was then assigned as a senior management consultant with the Leadership and Management Development Center, Air University. A career logistics officer, he has commanded a supply squadron and a logistics group, while serving staff tours at both major command and Air Staff levels. He has also served as a deputy program manager, a joint duty officer with the Defense Logistics Agency and an air logistics center product director. Prior to his current assignment, General McCoy served as Deputy Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force.
1975 Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology, Culver-Stockton College, Mo.
1978 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1979 Master of Arts degree in human resources management, University of Redlands, Calif.
1981 Marine Corps Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1987 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 National Security Management Program, by correspondence
1993 Armed Forces Staff College, Joint and Combined Staff Officer School, Norfolk, Va.
1996 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1976 - May 1979, Chief, Logistics Support Division, 1965th Communication and Installation Group, Norton AFB, Calif.
2. May 1979 - May 1982, senior management consultant, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
3. May 1982 - July 1983, Air Staff training officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1983 - June 1985, Air Force Logistics Command logistics liaison officer, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. June 1985 - July 1986, Assistant Chief of Supply, 51st Tactical Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, Korea
6. July 1986 - June 1987, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1987 - June 1989, Chief, Logistics Management Branch and A-10 Deputy System Program Manager, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
8. June 1989 - July 1991, Chief, Depot Maintenance Distribution Support Division and Deputy Director of Supply, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. July 1991 - May 1993, Commander and Chief of Supply, 48th Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station, Lakenheath, England
10. May 1993 - July 1995, Chief, Air Force Readiness Support, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Cameron Station, Va.
11. July 1995 - June 1996, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 1996 - May 1998, Commander, 82nd Logistics Group, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
13. May 1998 - June 1999, Chief, Materiel Management Division, Directorate of Logistics, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. June 1999 - July 2000, Deputy Director of Logistics, Directorate of Logistics, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. July 2000 - March 2002, Director, Avionics Management Directorate, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
16. March 2002 - February 2003, special assistant for Depot Maintenance Reengineering and Transformation to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. February 2003 - November 2003, Deputy Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. November 2003 - present, Director of Logistics and Sustainment, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 28, 1976
First Lieutenant July 28, 1978
Captain July 28, 1980
Major May 1, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 1990
Colonel May 1, 1996
Brigadier General April 1, 2003