Brig. Gen. George T. ?Tom? Lynn is Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He is responsible for the worldwide employment of the E-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System aircraft. The wing is the first Total Force wing, combining Air National Guard and active-duty Airmen into a single unit. The wing trains, mobilizes and deploys combat mission ready aircraft, aircrews and support to designated theaters of operation, and conducts sustained combat support operations to provide uninterrupted command, control, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance in support of the joint force air component commander.
General Lynn attended the University of Kentucky and Murray State University, graduating in 1970 with a Bachelor of Science degree in business. He received his commission through Officer Training School in December 1970. Following his training as a navigator and electronic warfare officer, he served for many years as an instructor. His previous commands include an aircraft maintenance squadron, two logistics groups and the 116th Bomb Wing.
General Lynn is a master navigator with more than 3,500 flying hours in a variety of aircraft.
1970 Bachelor of Science degree in business, Murray State University, Ky.
1975 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1985 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1986 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1. December 1970 - November 1972, student, undergraduate navigator training and electronic warfare training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. November 1972 - February 1973, F-105G electronic warfare officer training, Nellis AFB, Nev.
3. February 1973 - December 1973, electronic warfare officer, 17th Wild Weasel Squadron, Korat Royal Thai Air Base, Thailand
4. December 1973 - June 1974, student, B-52 Combat Crew Training, Castle AFB, Calif.
5. June 1974 - November 1977, EB-57 electronic warfare officer instructor, 190th Defense Systems Evaluation Group, Forbes AFB, Kan.
6. November 1977 - September 1979, KC-135 instructor navigator, 190th Air Refueling Group, Forbes AFB, Kan.
7. September 1979 - February 1982, F-105G electronic warfare officer instructor, 116th Fighter Wing, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
8. February 1982 - June 1986, F-4D instructor weapons system officer and Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 116th Fighter Wing, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
9. June 1986 - July 1993, Commander, Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
10. July 1993 - April 1996, Commander, Logistics Group, 116th Fighter Wing, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
11. April 1996 - July 1996, Commander, Logistics Group, 116th Bomb Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. July 1996 - June 1998, Vice Commander, 116th Bomb Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
13. June 1998 - September 2002, Commander, 116th Bomb Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
14. September 2002 - present, Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins AFB, Ga.
Rating: Master navigator
Flight hours: More than 3,500
Aircraft flown: F-105G, F-4D, EB-57, KC-135, B-52, B-1B and E-8C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
2000 Air National Guard nominee for the Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec. 11, 1970
First Lieutenant Dec. 11, 1973
Captain April 5, 1975
Major Dec. 28, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 18, 1990
Colonel June 11, 1995
Brigadier General June 23, 2003