Retired June 1, 1984.
Brigadier General Gordon P. Masterson is director of maintenance and supply, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
General Masterson was born in 1932, in Detroit. He graduated from Fowlerville (Mich.) High School in 1950 and from the University of Detroit in 1956. Concurrent with graduation he was commissioned as a second lieutenant through the Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps program. He received his master's degree in business administration and management at The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1966. He completed Squadron Officer School in 1962, Air Command and Staff College in 1966, and Air War College in 1973; all three schools are located at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
After technical training at Lowry Air Force Base, Colo., he began his work as an aircraft, airborne electronics, munitions and missile officer with steadily increasing responsibilities in aircraft and missile maintenance. His assignments included L.G. Hanscom Field, Mass., Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, and Southeast Asia as an adviser to the Royal Thai Air Force from August 1966 to March 1968. He was then assigned to Hamilton Air Force Base, Calif., as commander of the 78th Communications and Electronics Maintenance Squadron. He then commanded the 1st Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, also at Hamilton Air Force Base.
The general joined the Air Force Inspector General staff at Norton Air Force Base, Calif., and performed worldwide duty from March 1970 to August 1972. Then in August 1973, after graduation from the Air War College, he transferred to the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing at Royal Air Force Station Bentwaters, England, serving initially as deputy commander for logistics and then as deputy commander for maintenance.
Upon returning to the United States in June 1976, he was assigned to the Directorate of Materiel Management, Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins Air Force Base, Ga., as Air Force systems manager for the C-141 Starlifter Force and program manager for the C-141 "Stretch" Modification Program, which was under cost, ahead of schedule and an unqualified success.
In June 1979 he was named director of maintenance at the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. As the director of maintenance, he directed approximately 8,000 depot personnel in the remanufacture of aircraft, jet engines and weapon systems components for all major commands. He become vice commander of the Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center in June 1981 and assumed his present duties in August 1981.
The general's military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbon, Air Force Organizational Excellence Award ribbon and Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with palm.
He was promoted to brigadier general Feb. 1, 1981, with same date of rank.