Retired June 1, 1978.
Brigadier General Harold E. Gross is commander of the 4th Air Division, Strategic Air Command, at Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo. In addition to a Minuteman Missile Wing at Warren, the division includes the Minuteman Missile and B-52 wings at Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., and the 55th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
General Gross was born in 1930, in Johnson City, Tenn. He entered on active duty in June 1948 in enlisted status and in July 1949 entered the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., where he graduated in June 1953 with a bachelor of science degree and a commission in the U.S. Air Force. He received a master's degree in personnel administration from The George Washington University in 1965; and graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1970, and the Advanced Management Program of the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration in 1973.
In June 1953, General Gross entered observer-navigator training. In August 1954, he was assigned to the 3565th Navigator Training Wing at James Connally Air Force Base, Texas, as plans and programs officer and instructor, with responsibilities for maintaining contingency plans, programming portions of the U.S. Air Force Navigator Training Program, and conducting academic and aerial instruction. In July 1957 he was selected for a squadron commander position.
After pilot training from January 1958 to April 1959, General Gross was assigned to the 63d Troop Carrier Wing at Donaldson Air Force Base, S.C., as a C-124 Globemaster pilot, operating aircraft on worldwide routes. He became executive officer and chief of administration for the 63d Wing in June 1961.
In May 1963 General Gross was transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as an action officer in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Personnel, with responsibility for managing the Air Force resource of multiengine pilots, helicopter pilots, and air traffic controllers.
General Gross served as aide and executive assistant to the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff from June 1965 through June 1967. He was responsible to the chairman for executive and administrative assistance in the planning, scheduling and execution of all daily activities.
From July 1967 through July 1969, General Gross was commander, U.S. Element, Berlin Air Safety Center. He represented United States interests in direct daily negotiations with representatives from the USSR, United Kingdom and France on all Berlin air access matters.
In August 1969 he became a student at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C.
From July 1970 to August 1973, General Gross served with the Army and Air Force Exchange Service in Dallas, Texas, first as the deputy for exchange operations, and then, in July 1971, as chief of staff.
General Gross returned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in September 1973, and was assigned to the Office of the Comptroller as director of management analysis, with responsibility for management information and cost analyses programs from base level to departmental headquarters.
In March 1974 General Gross became deputy chief of staff, comptroller, Strategic Air Command, with headquarters at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. He assumed command of the 4th Air Division in August 1975.
He is rated a navigator and command pilot; and wears the Parachutist Missileman and Joint Chiefs of Staff badges. His decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters.
General Gross was promoted to the grade of brigadier general on Aug. 1, 1974, with date of rank July 15, 1974.