Retired Nov. 1, 1967. Died Feb. 23, 1985.
Harold Killian Kelley was born in Wilmington, Del., in 1913. His family moved to New Jersey and he attended public school in Gloucester City, N.J., where he graduated from high school in 1931 as salutatorian. In 1933 he enlisted in the Army and attended the West Point Preparatory School at Fort Totten. He won a competitive Army appointment to the U.S. Military Academy in 1934 and graduated 16th in a class of 301. During his last year at the military academy he was regimental commander and first captain of the Cadet Corps.
Second Lieutenant Kelley was commissioned in the Corps of Engineers and served in that branch of the service for nine years, the last five years of which he was assigned to the Army Air Corps. From 1942 to 1945 he served with the Eighth and Ninth Air Forces in the European theater in the position of staff engineer.
The accomplishments of Colonel Kelley while serving with the Air Forces in Europe during World War II earned him the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster.
After serving as the staff engineer at the newly formed Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., for a year and a half, Colonel Kelley was sent to Harvard University in 1947 to do graduate work in civil engineering. He obtained his master of science degree in June of 1948 and was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., where he headed the Maintenance Division in the Directorate of Installations. From 1951 - 1952 he served as the Air Force Installations representative in the Ohio River area and then moved to Colorado Springs to become the director of installations for Air Defense Command.
After attending the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C., in 1953-1954, he was transferred to Spain where he served for three years as the deputy to the Director of Construction (Navy Admiral) for the Joint U.S. Military Group. In this position he had the responsibility for the construction of the Air Force portion of the Spanish Base Program and was awarded the first oak leaf cluster to the Legion of Merit for his work.
In September 1957 he became the deputy for construction to the director of installations (now director of civil engineering). He moved to the Ballistic Systems Division, Norton Air Force Base, Calif., in July 1961. He served successively as assistant to the deputy for site activation; Deputy Chief of Staff for Civil Engineering and in March 1963 was named vice commander, BSD. He arrived at Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Wiesbaden, Germany, in September 1963, where he is serving as deputy chief of staff for civil engineering.
General Kelley is the son of the late Thomas F. and Sadie C. Kelley of Gloucester City, N.Y. Mr. Kelley was a naval architect and at one time superintendent of the Pusey and Jones ship building plant at Gloucester City. He is a member of the Society of American Military Engineers and has just been appointed a District Commissioner for the Transatlantic Council of the Boy Scouts of America.