Retired Aug. 1, 1970.
Brigadier General Harold R. Johnson is commander of the Pacific Communications Area of the Air Force Communications Service, with headquarters at Wheeler Air Force Base, Hawaii.
General Johnson was born in Graettinger, Iowa, in 1923. He later moved with his family to California where he graduated from Banning Union High School, Banning, Calif. He worked in the electronics-communications field for the City of Banning and for Consolidated Aircraft Corporation before entering the Army Air Corps in 1942 as an aviation cadet. He graduated as a bombardier.
During World War II he flew some 30 combat missions with the 8th Air Force in the European Theater of Operations. On his return to the United States, he completed pilot training in 1945.
In 1946 he started a series of assignments with the Airways and Air Communications Service, predecessor of today's Air Force Communications Service. He served at detachment, squadron and group levels and then was assigned to AACS headquarters at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., from l951 to 1955. His service there was concerned with communications systems planning.
His next assignment was in Paris, France, where he was a staff member of Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe from 1955 to 1958. During that assignment, he developed the system planning for the Ace High Tropospheric Scatter System in Europe for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
General Johnson returned to the United States in July 1958 and served at Headquarters U.S. Air Force in Washington, D.C., until October 1962. During that tour of duty he headed the Integration Branch and later the Systems Plans Branch in the Directorate of Telecommunications. His next assignment was in the Office of the Director of Defense Research and Engineering, Department of Defense, where he was Associate Director, National Military Command System. In August 1964 he entered the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.
In July 1965 General Johnson was assigned to the Executive Office of the President. He served as principal assistant to the White House telecommunications director until May 1968 and was awarded the Legion of Merit for his work in coordinating activities in the field of telecommunications operations and planning.
He assumed command, in May 1968, of the Pacific Communications Area which provides communications, air traffic control and air navigational aid service and facilities for the Air Force and Federal and non-government agencies. He also was assigned additional duties as deputy chief of staff, communications-electronics, Pacific Air Forces.
He has a bachelor of science degree from the University of Maryland and a master of science degree from The George Washington University. From 1965 to 1968, he served as an associate professor and lecturer in systems analysis with the American University Center for Technology and Administration.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Joint Service Commendation Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal and the Army Commendation Medal.