Retired Sep. 1, 1968.
Brigadier General Herbert George Bench is deputy chief, Army and Air Force Exchange Service, Dallas, Texas.
General Bench was born in Eaton, Colo., in 1917. He completed high school in Waynesville, Mo., and entered Southwest Missouri State College where he was awarded a bachelor of science degree in 1939. He coached various athletic teams and taught at Granby High School and Willard High School in Missouri from 1939 until 1941.
Entering military service in June 1941, he served as an enlisted man for approximately five months, as an aviation cadet for approximately six months and three months as a student at Officer Candidate School from which he was commissioned a second lieutenant, Army Air Corps in August 1942. He served as physical training officer, military training officer and commandant of students at Lancaster, Calif., until December 1944 and performed similar duties at Bakersfield, Calif., and Mather Field, Calif., until June 1946.
After a brief assignment as Assistant S-3 and base adjutant at Greensboro, N.C., he entered airborne training in 1947 and upon graduation commanded a parachute infantry company at Fort Benning, Ga., until 1949. Arriving at Neubiberg, Germany, in April 1949, his assignments included air base group executive officer, Headquarters Squadron commander and director of personnel for the 86th Fighter-Bomber Wing.
General Bench returned to the United States in February 1952 and was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force in Washington, D.C., until July 1957, where he held several responsible positions including one for three years as executive officer to the assistant secretary of the Air Force for manpower, personnel and reserve forces. During this tour in Washington, D.C., he attended off duty education classes and was awarded a master of arts degree in personnel management from The George Washington University.
In August 1957, he was enrolled in the Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. Upon graduation in June 1958, he was assigned to the Squadron Officer School as chief, Student Division. In February 1960 he was appointed vice commandant and later became commandant.
He arrived at Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe in January 1962 where he served as director of officer personnel until June 1962 when he was named assistant deputy chief of staff, personnel. He became deputy chief of staff, personnel in July 1963 and served in that position until he returned to the United States in June 1965.
His initial assignment to Tactical Air Command in June 1965 was as assistant deputy for personnel, TAC. On arrival, however, he assumed the duties as acting deputy for personnel and was formally assigned as deputy for personnel, TAC, Aug. 1, 1965. This position was redesignated deputy chief of staff, personnel March 15, 1966.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit and the Air Force Commendation Medal.