Retired July 1, 1966. Died Sep. 20, 1982.
Herbert William Ehrgott was born in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1904, and graduated from high school there. He then entered the U.S. Military Academy, from which he graduated June 12, 1926, was commissioned a second lieutenant of Field Artillery, and assigned as an instructor at West Point Preparatory School, Fort Sheridan, Ill.
In May 1927, General Ehrgott joined the First Engineers at Fort DuPont, Del. In July 1929, he entered Massachusetts Institute of Technology, from which he received a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering in June 1930. He then went to Paris, France, where he graduated from the French Technical School in October 1931.
General Ehrgott then entered the Engineer School at Fort Humphrey, Va., and upon graduation in June 1932, was assigned to the Ninth Engineers at Fort Riley, Kan. From August to December 1933, he was a Civilian Conservation Corps company commander at International Falls, Minn., and then rejoined the Ninth Engineers at Fort Riley.
In June 1934, General Ehrgott became professor of military science and tactics at Alabama Polytechnic Institute. Four years 1ater he was officer in charge of construction of the Arkport Dam at Hornell, N.Y., and in July 1939, became assistant engineer at the U.S. Engineer Office at Binghampton, N.Y. In March 1941, he was assigned as an instructor at the Engineer School, Fort Belvoir, Va.
General Ehrgott was a military observer at Cairo, Egypt, from June to December 1941. He then assumed command of the Asmara Service Command in Africa and in February 1942, was named a military observer with the U.S. Military North African Mission. In March 1942, after a month's duty with the Intelligence Division of the War Department General Staff, he was appointed a member of the Desert Warfare Board at the Desert Training, Center, Camp Young, Calif.
In October 1942, General Ehrgott was sent to Europe as staff engineer for the Ninth Air Force. In December 1942, he was named assistant chief of staff for supply of the Ninth Air Force, with additional duty as staff engineer, and in October 1943 became chief of staff. He was named chief of staff of the Ninth Engineer Command in that theater in January 1944.
Genera1 Ehrgott, in June 1945, entered the Naval War College at Newport, R.I., graduated in December 1945, and became a member of the Joint Operations Review Board at the Army-Navy Staff College.
Transferred to the Office of the Chief of Engineers in May 1946, General Ehrgott was named assistant chief of the Repairs and Utilities Division, and a month later became chief. On Nov. 5, 1947, he transferred to the Air Force and was named executive officer of the Special Weapons Group in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Materiel. He was appointed assistant for program control in the Office of the Assistant for Atomic Energy in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations a year later.
Entering the National War College in August 1949, General Ehrgott graduated the following June, and was assigned to the Air Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, becoming, acting deputy chief of staff for materiel that November. He assumed command of the Aviation Engineer Force at Wolters, Texas, in April 1951. In August 1953 he transferred to Air Force Headquarters at Washington, D.C., as director of installations in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations.
Joining the U.S. European Command in September 1954, General Ehrgott was appointed deputy director of the Joint Construction Agency.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit, Bronze Star Medal, Order of the British Empire, Luxembourg Croix de Guerre, and French Croix de Guerre.
He was promoted to first lieutenant Sept. 1, 1931; to captain June 12, 1936; to major (temporary) Jan. 31, 1941; to lieutenant colonel (temporary) Feb. 1, 1942; to colonel (temporary) Dec. 25, 1942; to major (permanent) June 12, 1943; to colonel (permanent) April 2, 1948; to brigadier general (temporary) March 8, 1952.