Retired July 1, 1961.
Homer Astley Boushey was born in 1909 in San Francisco, Calif. In 1929 after graduating from Hollywood High School, Hollywood, Calif., he entered Stanford University and later received his bachelor's degree in engineering.
He enrolled as a flying cadet in June 1932 and completed both the primary and advanced flying school courses at Randolph and Kelly fields, San Antonio, Texas. As an Air Corps reserve 2nd lieutenant he completed 20 months extended active duty with the 8th Pursuit Group at Langley Field, Va. During this period he engaged in air mail flights which the Air Corps assumed when commercial air mail contacts were suspended in the winter of 1934.
General Boushey returned to Stanford University where he completed his engineering course, which had been interrupted by his Air Corps service.
On Oct. 1, 1936 General Boushey was appointed a 2nd lieutenant, Regular Army Air Corps. During 1938-1939 General Boushey attended the Air Corps maintenance engineering course at Chanute Field, Ill., graduating there in the summer of 1939. From 1939 to 1957 General Boushey's assignments were with Air Force research and development activities, operational fighter units and Headquarters Air Force Staff.
In the spring of 1941 General Boushey was the project officer, flew the first experimental aircraft jet-assisted take-off tests, and made the first flight in the United States powered by rocket power alone.
In 1943 General Boushey became the Air Corps' first commander of a jet organization when the 412th Fighter Group was organized on a confidential status at Muroc, Calif. In 1947 General Boushey led the first over-water flight of jet fighter aircraft when one squadron of P-80 aircraft was transferred from the Philippines to Okinawa.
General Boushey graduated from the First Command Course, Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in 1946 and graduated from the Industrial College in 1949. In 1952 he was assigned to the Wright Air Development Center where he held the positions of chief, equipment laboratory; director of weapon systems; chief of staff; and vice commander. Later he was assigned to ARDC, Baltimore as assistant deputy commander for research and development, and in July 1957 he was designated deputy director of research and development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. On July 15, 1958 Headquarters U.S. Air Force established the Directorate of Advanced Technology under the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Development. General Boushey was appointed the first director of the office of advanced technology.
Reassigned on July 1, 1960, General Boushey assumed duty as commander of the Arnold Engineering Development Center, ARDC, at Tullahoma, Tenn.
General Boushey's decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal and the Guided Missile Insignia. He is rated a command pilot.