Retired Jan. 1, 2005.
Brig. Gen. J. Gregory Pavlovich is Commander, 45th Space Wing, and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. He is also Deputy Department of Defense Manager for Manned Space Flight Support to NASA. As the 45th Space Wing Commander, the general oversees the preparation and launching of U.S. government and commercial satellites from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., granting final approval authority for all launches on the Eastern Range. The Eastern Range covers an area of more than 15 million square miles and comprises 36 tenant units and operating sites located at Patrick AFB; Cape Canaveral Air Force Station; the Jonathan Dickinson Military Tracking and Malabar annexes, Fla.; Antigua Air Station; and Ascension Island. All of these sites support an average of 30 launches a year. He also manages wing launch and range infrastructure supporting space launch and missile test operations.
General Pavlovich graduated from the University of Wisconsin and entered the Air Force through the ROTC program. He spent his career in missile operations, missile and aircraft maintenance, space operations and logistics. The general has commanded three aircraft maintenance squadrons, a logistics group and a Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile space wing. General Pavlovich has held two joint assignments and is a certified program manager.
1974 Bachelor of Science degree in political science and history, University of Wisconsin
1982 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1984 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1985 Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Marine Corps Institute
1985 Master of Public Administration degree, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
1993 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1994 Distinguished graduate, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.C.
1994 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1975 - November 1979, select missile combat crew commander evaluator and missile combat crew commander/deputy, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
2. November 1979 - December 1980, missile launch code controller, 341st Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. January 1981 - February 1983, Chief, Operations and Training Branch, Missile Control Division, Directorate of Missile Operations, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. February 1983 - April 1984, executive officer to the Director of Missile Operations, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. April 1984 - July 1986, Chief, Missile Control Evaluation Section, later, Chief, Operations and Maintenance Analysis Section, 3901st Strategic Missile Evaluation Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
6. August 1986 - June 1988, Chief of Quality Assurance, later, Chief, Missile Maintenance Division, 485th Tactical Missile Wing, Florennes Air Base, Belgium
7. July 1988 - May 1990, Commander, 513th Field Maintenance Squadron and 513th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
8. May 1990 - May 1991, Commander, 513th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
9. May 1991 - July 1993, Executive Program Director, Office of the Inspector General, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1993 - June 1994, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. July 1994 - June 1995, Chief of Strategic Planning and Business Process Integration, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Cameron Station, Va.
12. June 1995 - May 1996, Assistant Executive Director, Readiness Group, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
13. June 1996 - January 1998, Commander, 45th Logistics Group, Patrick AFB, Fla.
14. February 1998 - November 1998, Vice Commander, 341st Space Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
15. November 1998 - June 2000, Commander, 341st Space Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
16. July 2000 - June 2002, Deputy Director of Operations, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
17. June 2002 - present, Commander, 45th Space Wing, and Director, Eastern Range, Patrick AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with nine oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Montana Adjutant General's Distinguished Patriot Medal
1987 Outstanding Ground-Launched Cruise Missile Field Grade Officer, Headquarters 17th Air Force
1987 Lt. Gen. Leo Marquez Logistics Award for Outstanding Maintenance Field Grade Officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe
1988 Best Field Maintenance Squadron (Commander), Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe
1989 Best Equipment Maintenance Squadron (Commander), Headquarters 3rd Air Force
1999 U.S. Strategic Command?s Omaha Trophy for Best ICBM Unit
1999 Lee R. Williams Memorial Award for Best Space Wing with an ICBM Mission
1999 Continental United States nominee for the Air Force Installation Excellence Award
1999 Honorable Verne Orr Award for most effective use of personal resources
2002 Honorable Verne Orr Award for most effective use of personal resources
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April 12, 1975
First Lieutenant April 12, 1977
Captain April 12, 1979
Major Sept. 1, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 1991
Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Brigadier General Aug. 1, 2001