Retired Aug. 1, 1970. Died Jan. 22, 2004.
Brigadier General Jack Bollerud is deputy chief of staff, Bioastronautics and Medicine, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md. In this capacity, he advises the commander and staff on bioastronautics and medical matters and supervises all bioastronautics and medical activities throughout the command. This includes the dental services, the veterinarian services, the professional medical services, the hospital care program, and the medical administrative services of medical units and laboratories. He is responsible for the supervision of all bioastronautics and medical research of the Air Force.
General Bollerud was born in Everson, Wash., in 1914. After graduation from Mount Baker High School in Deming, Wash., in 1932, he attended the University of Washington for three years. He graduated from the University of Oregon in 1936 with a bachelor of science degree and received his doctor of medicine degree from that school in 1939. In June 1939 he began his internship at Swedish Hospital, Seattle, Wash., and in July 1940 he was commissioned a first lieutenant at Fort Lawton, Wash.
From February 1941 to January 1943, General Bollerud served as assistant surgeon at Ladd Field, Alaska. He next was assigned duty at the School of Aviation Medicine, Randolph Field, Texas, following which he was assigned to the station hospital at Moses Lake, Wash., as hospital executive officer. Later he was transferred to the station hospital at Marietta Army Air Base, Ga., as base surgeon and received his flight surgeon's wings. In September 1943 he was transferred to Salina Army Air Base, Kan., as group surgeon for the 468th Bombardment Group.
His next assignment in January 1944 was to the China-Burma-India Theater of Operations where he later became command surgeon of the 20th Bomber Command. In July 1945 he became surgeon for the Eighth Air Force at Okinawa. In February 1946 he was assigned to Kelly Field, Texas, to take the course in industrial medicine. Upon completion he was sent to the School of Aviation Medicine at Randolph Field, Texas, to instruct in global medicine.
From October 1947 to December 1950, the general was commanding officer of the Arctic Aeromedical Laboratory, Ladd Air Force Base, Alaska. This was a new research and development facility with the mission of studying man and his equipment in the Arctic environment. Following this assignment, and until May 1951, he attended the Strategic Intelligence School, Washington, D.C. He was then transferred to the U.S. Embassy, Ottawa, Canada, as assistant air attache. He served in this capacity until December 1953.
In 1954 General Bollerud was made chief of the Aeromedical Laboratory, Wright Air Development Center, at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He received his senior flight surgeon's wings in 1956. He remained with the laboratory until April 1958, when he was made deputy director and later director of life sciences at Headquarters Air Research and Development Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md. General Bollerud was awarded the Legion of Merit in July 1958 for outstanding contributions in the field of aviation medicine.
In October 1960 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force as chief of the Science Division, Directorate of Science and Technology, where he remained until he joined the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in 1965 as acting director of space medicine. He assumed the duties of deputy chief of staff for bioastronautics and medicine, Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., in July 1967.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star Medal, and the Air Force Commendation Medal.