Retired July 31, 1963. Died June 10, 1969.
James 0. Guthrie, born in Bemidji, Minn., graduated from St. Thomas Military Academy in 1927. After attending St. Thomas College in St. Paul, Minn., he enlisted in the Army Air Corps in February 1930 and entered the Aviation Cadet Program. He received his pilot's wings and reserve commission in 1931 and was assigned to Selfridge Field, Mich., as assistant squadron operations officer with the First Pursuit Group, until December 1932, when he went into the inactive reserve.
General Guthrie reentered the Air Corps as a second lieutenant in 1935, serving as flight commander at Selfridge and later as chief of the Testing Branch at Air Proving Ground, Eglin Field, Fla., testing the capabilities of such aircraft as the P-47, P-51, B-24, B-25 and other World War II planes.
After serving as chief of staff, 5th Fighter Command, New Guinea; commander of the 86th Fighter Wing; and chief of staff, 13th Fighter Command, he returned to Eglin Field as base commander in 1945.
Upon graduating from the Air War College in 1947, General Guthrie was assigned as assistant chief of staff, Plans and Operations Division, Headquarters Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
In September 1950, he became deputy director of requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., until 1953 when he was assigned as commander, 29th Air Division, Great Falls Air Force Base, Mont.
General Guthrie was commander of the 39th Air Division, Misawa Air Base, Japan, for three years prior to becoming commandant of the U.S. Air Force Air Ground Operations School, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., in July 1959.