Retired April 1, 2003.
Brig. Gen. James W. Swanson is Chief Counsel, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, and Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. In this dual capacity, General Swanson serves as senior managing attorney for a global transportation organization, consisting of more than 200,000 people and organic air, sea and ground transportation assets valued in excess of $56 billion, responsible for ensuring all national defense transportation requirements are met in peace and war.
General Swanson received his commission through the Air Force ROTC program at Purdue University. He has served as a staff judge advocate five times, at the wing, numbered air force and major command levels. Additionally, General Swanson has served twice as a commander and also headed the Judge Advocate General's Professional Development Division in Washington, D.C. In 1994, General Swanson deployed to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, to serve as Staff Judge Advocate to the Commander, Joint Task Force-Southwest Asia during Operation Vigilant Warrior.
1971 Bachelor of arts degree in journalism, Purdue University
1977 Juris doctor degree, University of Illinois
1979 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1983 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Air War College, by correspondence
1. July 1971 - November 1971, administration officer, 3761st Student Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. November 1971 - March 1973, assistant chief of administration, later, Commander, Headquarters Squadron Section, 3750th Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. March 1973 - August 1974, Aide to the Commander, Sheppard Technical Training Center, Sheppard AFB, Texas
4. August 1974 - July 1977, student, Funded Legal Education Program, University of Illinois, Champaign
5. July 1977 - December 1978, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 363rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, Shaw AFB, S.C.
6. December 1978 - June 1979, Chief of Preventive Law, 9th Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. June 1979 - August 1982, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, later, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 21st Tactical Fighter Wing, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
8. August 1982 - May 1983, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. May 1983 - June 1985, Staff Judge Advocate, 379th Bomb Wing, Wurtsmith AFB, Mich.
10. July 1985 - June 1988, Staff Judge Advocate, 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing, Beale AFB, Calif.
11. June 1988 - July 1993, Chief, Manpower Branch, Career Management Division, later, Chief, Professional Development Division, Office of the Judge Advocate General, Washington, D.C.
12. July 1993 - June 1996, Staff Judge Advocate, 9th Air Force-U.S. Central Command Air Forces, Shaw AFB, S.C. (October 1994 - November 1994, Staff Judge Advocate, Operation Vigilant Warrior, Joint Task Force-Southwest Asia, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia)
13. July 1996 - March 1999, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
14. March 1999 - January 2000, Commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
15. January 2000 - present, Chief Counsel, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, and Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters AMC, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with two service stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with service star
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Long
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with six oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 7, 1971
First Lieutenant Jan 15, 1973
Captain Jul 15, 1975
Major Nov 1, 1981
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1986
Colonel Apr 1, 1991
Brigadier General Apr 1, 2000