Retiring effective Aug. 1, 2005.
Brig. Gen. Jan D. "Denny" Eakle is Deputy Director, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), Arlington, Va. DFAS is the world?s largest finance and accounting operation with annual responsibilities of paying more than five million people, processing contractor invoices and making travel payments worth millions, and disbursing more than $400 billion.
General Eakle was commissioned in 1975 after completing the Air Force ROTC program at Baylor University. She earned a master's degree from Baylor before entering active duty in 1976. The general has served as a personnel policy analyst, Chief of Advertising Research and Analysis with the Office of Accession Policy in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and led the Enlisted Accession Policy and Compensation branches on the Air Staff. She also served with U.S. Strategic Command as Executive to the Commander in Chief and as Chief of Staff.
General Eakle's commands include the 3541st Recruiting Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas, the 62nd Support Group, McChord AFB, Wash., and the 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M. Prior to her current position, General Eakle was Vice Commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah.
1975 Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
1976 Master of Science degree in mathematics, Baylor University, Waco
1982 Doctor of philosophy in operations research, University of Texas, Austin
1998 National Defense Fellow, National Foreign Affairs Training Center, Arlington, Va.
1. September 1976 - August 1979, math model analyst designer, Air Force Military Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
2. August 1979 - August 1982, student, School of Engineering, University of Texas, Austin
3. August 1982 - September 1985, Air Staff policy analyst, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. September 1985 - July 1988, Chief, Advertising Research and Analysis Branch, Office of Accession Policy, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
5. July 1988 - June 1991, Commander, 3541st U.S. Air Force Recruiting Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
6. July 1991 - October 1992, Chief, Enlisted Accession Policy Team, and Chief, Compensation Branch, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. November 1992 - July 1993, member, Chief of Staff of the Air Force Operations Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1993 - March 1995, assistant executive to the Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. April 1995 - July 1997, Commander, 62nd Support Group, McChord AFB, Wash.
10. July 1997 - June 1998, National Defense Fellow, National Foreign Affairs Training Center, Department of State, Arlington, Va.
11. August 1998 - September 2000, executive assistant to the Commander in Chief and Chief of Staff, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. September 2000 - January 2002, Commander, 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
13. January 2002 - December 2003, Vice Commander, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
14. December 2003 - present, Deputy Director, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), Arlington, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 16, 1975
First Lieutenant March 7, 1978
Captain March 7, 1980
Major May 1, 1986
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 1991
Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Brigadier General March 1, 2002