Brigadier General Jarisse J. Sanborn is Chief Counsel, Headquarters United States Transportation Command, and Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
General Sanborn was commissioned in the Air Force in 1974 after completing Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, as a distinguished graduate. She initially served as a squadron and wing executive officer, and in 1978 was selected to attend law school under the auspices of the Air Force?s Funded Legal Education Program. She has since served in various assignments at the wing, numbered air force, major command, unified and bi-national command levels and the Air Staff. As the Fourth Fighter Wing Staff Judge Advocate, she deployed to Oman and Saudi Arabia during the Persian Gulf War in 1990-1991. Prior to her present position, General Sanborn was Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, U.S. Space Command and U. S. Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
1973 Bachelor of arts degree with honors (Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa) in psychology, Randolph-Macon Woman?s College, Lynchburg, Va.
1981 Juris Doctor degree (Magna Cum Laude), Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Neb.
1997 Master of science, National Security Strategy, National War College
1. March 1974 - February 1976, Executive Officer, 28th Field Maintenance Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
2. February 1976 - August 1976, Executive Officer, 28th Bombardment Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
3. August 1976 - July 1978, Squadron Section Commander, 81st Supply Squadron, RAF Bentwaters, United Kingdom
4. August 1978 - July 1981, Student, Funded Legal Education Program, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb.
5. August 1981 - June 1983, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Offutt AFB, Neb.
6. June 1983 - May 1984, Area Defense Counsel, Offutt AFB, Neb.
7. May 1984 - May 1988, Chief, U.S. Sending State Office, and Chief, Military Justice, Headquarters 3rd Air Force, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
8. May 1988 - July 1991, Staff Judge Advocate, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. August 1990 - March 1991, Staff Judge Advocate, 4th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional), Thumrait, Oman and Al Kharj, Saudi Arabia
10. July 1991 - August 1993, Staff Judge Advocate, Luke AFB, Ariz.
11. August 1993 - July 1996, Chief, Military Operations Law Branch, General Law Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1996 - June 1997, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, D.C.
13. July 1997 - June 1999, Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters 11th Air Force and Headquarters Alaskan Command, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
14. June 1999 - August 2000, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
15. August 2000 - June 2002, Staff Judge Advocate, North American Aerospace Defense Command, United States Space Command and Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
16. June 2002 - September 2002, Staff Judge Advocate, NORAD, Headquarters USSPACECOM and United States Northern Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
17. October 2002 - March 2003, Staff Judge Advocate, NORAD and USNORTHCOM, Peterson AFB, Colo.
18. March 2003 - present, Chief Counsel, Headquarters U.S. Transportation Command, and Staff Judge Advocate, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
1985 Air Force Outstanding Young Judge Advocate of the Year
1985 Federal Bar Association Younger Federal Lawyer of the Year Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan 23, 1974
First Lieutenant Jan 23, 1976
Captain Jan 23, 1978
Major Sep 1, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel Jun 1, 1990
Colonel Jun 1, 1994
Brigadier General Apr 1, 2003