Retired Feb. 1, 1969.
Brigadier General John Braxton Wallace is commander of the 436th Military Airlift Wing at Dover Air Force Base, Del. In this capacity he directs the wing's global airlift activities which includes the operation of six airlift squadrons of heavy transport aircraft, as well as the largest Air Cargo Port of the Military Airlift Command on the East Coast. As a MAC unit the wing operates worldwide airlift missions transporting personnel, strategic military cargo and aeromedical evacuees.
General Wallace was born in Florence, S.C., in 1918. He graduated from Greenwood (S.C.) High School in 1935. He attended The Citadel from 1935 to 1938 and graduated from the University of South Carolina in 1939 with a bachelor of science degree in business administration.
In June of 1939 he entered primary flying school at Love Field, Dallas, Texas. Upon completion of flight training at Randolph and Kelly fields, Texas, he received his wings and commission. Upon graduation, General Wallace was assigned squadron officer duties at the Air Corps Tactical School at Maxwell Field, Ala. In August 1941, he was assigned to duty at Orangeburg, S.C., as an assistant Primary Pilot School supervisor and later, as a captain, served as commanding officer. In 1943, General Wallace was assigned to the primary flying school at Camden Ark., as commanding officer. From there, he went to the B-17 transition school at Sebring, Fla., and in August 1944, General Wallace reported to the 100th Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force in England. He progressively held positions as squadron commander, group operations officer and group commander. During World War II, he-flew a total of 133 combat hours in the B-17.
Following the war, General Wallace was assigned as chief of the Military Personnel Division, Third Air Force with headquarters at Tampa, Fla. When Third Air Force was redesignated Tactical Air Command and moved to Langley Air Force Base, Va., he became its assistant deputy chief of staff/personnel. In September 1947, he was ordered to the Air Command and Staff School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
After completing the course in mid-1948, he was reassigned to Caribbean Air Command headquarters at Albrook Air Force Base, Canal Zone, as director of military personnel, and subsequently was assigned as assistant deputy chief of staff/personnel. Midway through his tour in the Canal Zone, he was reassigned to duty as deputy chief of staff/operations, (CAirC). This assignment marked the beginning of his experience in the Air Transportation field since CAirC operated its own Air Logistics system supporting the various U.S. Air Force Missions to Latin America. In January 1951, while serving in this assignment, he was promoted to colonel.
Upon completion of this overseas tour in October 1951, he was reassigned to Philadelphia as deputy chief of staff/operations, for the newly formed Air Pictorial Service. When the name was changed to Air Photographic and Charting Service and the headquarters was moved to Orlando Air Force Base, Fla., in 1952, he became its chief of staff.
General Wallace began studies at the Air War College in August of 1953. While there, he wrote his thesis on the Geodetic Data Requirements of Long Range Weapons Systems. After completing the Air War College, he was ressigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force and in August 1955 was assigned as chief of the Photo and Cartography Branch in the Directorate of Operations.
In July of 1957, after completing C-130 transition training, General Wallace was reassigned to Evreux-Fauville Air Base, France. During this tour, he served first as deputy commander and later as commander of the 317th Troop Carrier Wing, and deputy commander of the 322nd Air Division.
Returning to the United States in July of 1960, he became deputy commander, 1611th Air Transport Wing, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J. In August 1961, he assumed command of the wing, one of the world's largest airlift organizations. During this tenure as wing commander at McGuire, the 1611th ATW was engaged in many of the largest and most important airlift exercises in the history of the Air Force. The 1611th ATW gained two squadrons of C-135s, the first pure jet aircraft in the Military Air Transport Service inventory, and General Wallace qualified as a jet pilot. In February 1964, while serving at McGuire Air Force Base, announcement was made of his nomination for promotion to brigadier general.
He was again reassigned to Orlando Air Force Base, Fla., on July 1, 1964, as commander of the Air Photographic and Charting Service. In this capacity he managed the photographic and geodetic operations of the Air Force throughout the world. During his assignment he was responsible for planning and implementing the Air Force documentary photographic program for Southeast Asia.
On April 7, 1965, General Wallace was assigned to Dover Air Force Base as commander of the 1607th ATW, now the 436th Military Airlift Wing. He is an aircraft commander in the C-133, the largest airlift aircraft in the U.S. Air Force inventory.
The general's decorations include the Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal, Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster and the French Croix de Guerre.