Retired July 30, 1956. Died May 3, 1986.
John Colt Beaumont Elliott was born in Wilkes-Barre, Penn., in 1901. He served as a private in the 109th Field Artillery, Pennsylvania National Guard, from June 1920 to June 1922; graduated from the U.S. Military Academy on June 12, 1926 and was commissioned a second lieutenant with assignment to the First Cavalry Division, Corps of Engineers.
In June 1930 General Elliott graduated from Cornell University in N.Y., with a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering. He then went to Fort Humphries, Va., with the 13th Engineer Regiment, and that September he entered the Engineer School at Port Humphries, Va., graduated in June 1931 and returned to Fort Humphries as post personnel and finance officer.
Going to Hawaii in February l932, General Elliott was assigned to the Third Engineers, Hawaiian Division, Schofield Barracks. In July 1933 he had special duty surveying and designing fortifications in Hawaii, later becoming assistant district engineer. Ordered to Boston, Mass., in April 1935, he became assistant district engineer, and in November 1937 was assigned to the Works Progress Administration as a special representative in Los Angeles and San Diego.
The following June General Elliott returned to the U.S. Military Academy as an instructor in civil and military engineering and military history. In June 1942 he became division engineer of the 80th Infantry Division at Camp Forest, Tenn., and that September he was assigned in the Engineer Section of the Army Ground Forces headquarters in Washington, D.C. Going to the Southwest Pacific in December 1943, the general served as task force engineer of the Sixth Army, becoming assistant engineering officer the following May. General Elliott became commander of the 5220th Engineer Construction Brigade from August to November 1945. The following February he was named chief of the Construction Division, 8th Army serving at Yokahama, Yokota and Tokyo.
Assuming command of the Aviation Engineer School and Geiger Field, Wash., in October 1946, the following June General Elliott moved the school and assumed command of Fort Warren, Wyo. Returning to U.S. Air Force headquarters, Washington D.C., in July 1949, he was named director for family housing, becoming chief of architecture and engineering in April 1952. Transferred to the Strategic Air Command at Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., that July, General Elliott was appointed director of installations.
Moving to Wolters Air Force Base, Texas on Aug. 15, 1953, General Elliott assumed command of the Aviation Engineer Force, Continental Air Command, and on May 25, 1956 was appointed chief of Continental Air Command liaison team, with no change in duty station.
His decorations include the Silver Star, Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star and Commendation Ribbon.