Military Bios
Contact

Brigadier General John C. Horton:

Military Branch:United States Airforce
Retired Aug. 1, 1959.  
John Coleman Horton was born at Monticello, Fla., in 1905. He attended high school in Torrington, Wyo., graduating from there in 1923. While a student in high school he became a member of Troop "E", 115th Cavalry, Wyoming National Guard.
Entering the U.S. Military Academy in 1925, he graduated with a bachelor of science degree on June 13, 1929 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Field Artillery.
In September 1929 General Horton entered flying training at March Field, Calif., graduated from Advanced flying Training at Kelly Field, Texas in October 1930 and remained at Kelly Field as a flying instructor.
Going to Hawaii in February 1931, General Horton was assigned to the newly organized 26th Attack Squadron, 18th Pursuit Group at Wheeler Field. In this assignment he served as a tactical pilot, with additional duties as squadron adjutant, mass officer, supply officer, etc.
While in Hawaii he assisted Lieutenant William Cocke in the construction of a sailplane. This aircraft, with a wingspan of 60 feet, in December of 1931 established a new world's record for sustained soaring flight by remaining aloft more than 21 hours.
Returning to the United States in January 1935, General Horton served at Randolph Field, Texas as a flying instructor and flight commander until June 1939 when he was transferred to San Diego, Calif., for duty as an Air Corps supervisor at the Ryan School of Aeronautics and commanding officer of the Air Corps Training Detachment at Lindberg Field.
Ordered to staff duty with the newly organized headquarters of the West Coast Air Corps Training Center at Moffett Field, Calif., in February 1941, he remained with the center when it moved to Santa Ana, Calif. As assistant for operations, General Horton was principally involved in the selection of sites and establishment of new flying schools from New Mexico to California.
Transferred to Roswell, N.M., in August 1942, General Horton became director of training for the Advanced Pilot Training and Bombardier Training School, until four months later when he became commander of Roswell Army Airfield and commandant of the school, which in May 1943 was changed to four-engine pilot training.
Reassigned in August 1944 to Santa Ana as assistant chief of staff for operations at Headquarters Army Air Force Western Flying and Training Command, in May 1945 General Horton entered the Army-Navy Staff College, Randolph Field, Texas. On completion of this course he was transferred to U.S. Air Forces, Europe, with headquarters at Wiesbaden, Germany serving in turn as director of military personnel, deputy for personnel, and assistant chief of staff for personnel.
Moving to London, England in January 1948, General Horton was attached to the American Embassy while attending the Imperial Defense College. Graduating in December 1948 he returned to the United States and in January 1949 was assigned to the Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
On June 10, 1952 General Horton joined the Air Defense Command headquarters, Colorado Springs, Colo., as deputy chief of staff for personnel.
Joining Air Force headquarters, Washington, D.C., on July 2, 1956, the general assumed duties as a member of the Personnel Council, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit and the Cloud Banner Award. He is rated a command pilot.

 

Copyright 2005 - Military Bios