Retired Oct. 1, 1973.
Brigadier General John D. Peters is deputy chief of staff for civil engineering, Headquarters Pacific Air Force, Hickam. Air Force Base, Hawaii.
General Peters was born in 1922, in Mars, Pa., and attended elementary and high school there. In 1941 he entered Geneva College, Beaver Falls, Pa., but discontinued his engineer studies to enter active military service in March 1944. He completed Engineer Officer Candidate School and received his commission in March 1945. From March 1945 until May 1945 he was a student in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers School at Fort Belvoir, Va.
In July 1945 he was assigned as platoon leader and later served as motor officer for the 47th Engineer Construction Battalion in the Pacific area. He was on Okinawa when World War II ended. In December 1946 he was relieved from active military duty and entered the Inactive Reserve.
He returned to active military service in May 1947 and served in the Pacific area with engineer aviation companies of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In March 1949 he was assigned as installations officer for the 6472d Installations Squadron in the Far East Command. In September 1949 he returned to the United States and was assigned as assistant air installations officer for the 92d and later the 814th Installations Squadrons at Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash. In 1950 he transferred to the U.S. Air Force.
General Peters has served in many engineering and research assignments. He was assigned as Project Engineer at Niort, France, in May 1953, and later was special assistant to the area engineer at Rochfort, France. In February 1957 he was assigned to Air Force Systems Command in the Air Force Ballistic Missiles Division, Inglewood, Calif., as chief, Standards and Criteria Branch, Engineering Division, and later was deputy for an engineering group in Installations. In November 1959 he became deputy director for construction, Engineering Group, deputy commander, Facilities, at AFBMD headquarters, Los Angeles, Calif. In July 1962 he became a research engineer at Headquarters Space Systems Division.
In September 1963 General Peters was assigned as chief, Space Systems Office, and later assumed duties as assistant deputy chief of staff, Research, at the Arnold Engineering Development Center, Arnold Air Force Station, Tenn. He attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C., from August 1965 to July 1966.
General Peters next served as Deputy Program Director for a $52 million airfield construction project (Project Turnkey) in the Republic of Vietnam, with a second job as group commander for five engineer heavy repair squadrons that the U.S. Air Force deployed there.
In January 1967 he was assigned to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., as chief of the Engineering Division, Deputy Director for Construction in the Directorate of Civil Engineering.
In August 1969 General Peters assumed duties as command civil engineer, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md. He assumed duties as deputy chief of staff for civil engineering, Headquarters Pacific in September 1972.
General Peters received his bachelor (1956), master (1960), and doctor (1963) of science degrees from the University of Illinois and graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C., in 1966. He is a member of Sigma Xi and a Fellow in the American Society of Civil Engineers.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, Distinguished Unit Citation Emblem, Vietnam Service Medal with two service stars, and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
He was promoted to the grade of brigadier general effective Aug. 1, 1970, with date of rank July 18, 1970.