Retired Oct. 31, 1963. Died Oct. 2, 2000.
John Monroe Hutchison was born in Rhome, N.D., in 1912. His family migrated to northern Canada when he was 6 years old and he spent the following five years in the town of Spirit River, Alberta. His family then relocated in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, where he completed grade school and high school and subsequently enrolled at the University of Idaho in the fall of 1929. He was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy while attending the University of Idaho and entered West Point July 1, 1930.
Graduating from the Military Academy June 12, 1934 as a second lieutenant of Cavalry, Lieutenant Hutchison entered primary flying training at Randolph Field, Texas, in the fall of 1934 and received his pilot's wings from the advanced flying school at Kelly Field, Texas, the following year.
Upon graduation from flying training in October 1935, his first assignment was with the 1st Bombardment Squadron, 9th Bombardment Group, Mitchel Field, N.Y. For the following three years, he served as a bombardment pilot with additional duties of a squadron officer. He was transferred from the Cavalry to the Air Force in February 1936 and was promoted to first lieutenant June 12, 1937. Also during this period, he attended the 9th Bombardment Group Navigation School and became an aerial navigator.
In 1938 he was transferred to Chanute Field, Ill., where he completed the Aircraft Maintenance Engineering course at the Air Corps Technical School. Upon completion of this course in 1939, he was assigned to base duties in Maintenance Engineering at Chanute Field. He was promoted to captain Sept. 9, 1940.
In February 1941, Captain Hutchison was transferred to Barksdale Field, La., as a member of the initial cadre of officers who were charged with establishing an expanded Air Corps course in aerial navigation. In May 1941, he was transferred to Mather Field, Calif., where as deputy director of navigation training he assisted in establishing and operating the Navigation School at that station. On July 22, 1941, he was promoted to major and Jan. 23, 1942 he was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
In July of 1942 Lieutenant Colonel Hutchison was transferred to the Navigation School at Kelly Field, Texas, and thence in August 1942 to the Navigation School at Hondo, Texas, for orientation preparatory to assuming command of a new Air Corps Navigation School at San Marcos where he directed the establishment of the school and served as base commander until Jan. 8, 1945. On Aug. 9, 1943 he was promoted to the grade of colonel.
On Jan. 8, 1945 Colonel Hutchison transferred to and assumed command of Bolling Field, Washington, D.C.
In June 1945 Colonel Hutchison departed Bolling Field, and preparatory to being assigned overseas, had a progression of training assignments at Orlando, Fla., (Radar Familiarization Course); Lockbourne Air Base, Ohio (B-17 transition); and Maxwell Air Base, Ala., (B-29 transition).
In September 1945 he was assigned to the Eighth Air Force in Okinawa where he served as chief of staff of the 316th Bomb Wing until the following spring. Between May 1946 and June 1947, Colonel Hutchison was assigned to duty with G-1, War Department General Staff, Washington, DC, and during a majority of this time period served on the tri-service committee charged with preparing legislation eventually known as the "Officer Personnel Act of 1947."
Following his service on the War Department General Staff and until the spring of 1949, he attended graduate school at Stanford University. Graduating with the degree of master of business administration, he was transferred to Wiesbaden, Germany, in May 1949 and assigned to duty as Deputy A-1, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe. On June 1, 1950, he was assigned to duty as deputy chief of staff/comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe. On Aug. 2, 1951, he was assigned to duty as comptroller of the newly reactivated Twelfth Air Force, which position he held during the balance of his tour in Germany.
In August 1952, Colonel Hutchison was assigned as a student at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Washington, D.C. Upon completion of this course in May of 1953, he was assigned to duty in Headquarters U.S. Air Force as deputy director of manpower and organization, which position he held until the summer of 1957.
In August of 1957, he was assigned to duty as deputy commander, 62d TCW (H), Larson Air Force Base, Wash. In May 1958, he assumed command of the 62d TCW for the balance of his tour at Larson Air Force Base.
In June of 1960 he was transferred to Osan Air Base, Korea, as deputy commander of the 314th Air Division. On Feb. 14, 1961, he was promoted to the grade of brigadier general and May 16, 1961 assumed command of the 314th Air Division - the position he now holds.